We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

Been reading the board diligently but I do have a couple questions. Fiance and I first trip to Mexico, chose Cozumel, chose AI - never travel that way before but different circumstances this time. Leaning heavily toward Cozumel Palace. First, I'm confused as to whether there is a beach and/or beach access at this hotel. Pictures look like it but have read different in forum. Second question specifically for people from around Chicago, we are going end of May and expedia has quoted around $1400 each all in. Is that a generally good deal (I've played the airfare game before just curious as far as this trip)? Thanks for your help

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

If you got 1400 all in for a week at the palace you got a good deal. Runs 1800 from toronto The cheaper AI's are only 2 -3 hundred less

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

Thanks, it seemed like a good deal no matter the destination from Chicago. I think I'm starting to understand the beach thing, its man made and not one with a typical slope so access via jumping in and ladder out?

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

That is correct about the "beach". No sandy entry. There is a ledge going into the water or some ladders or jump in. The ledge is nice if it is calm but tough if it is not.

They have sandy areas with chairs which satisfies our 5 yr old to play in, but alone I have no use for the sand!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

You have chosen (or are looking at) the very best 1st experience on Cozumel w/ the Palace. Book it and have a blast.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

Man made beach only. The Palace was the first place we stayed when going to Coz as well. If that price is for a week plus air that is a good deal from Chicago, air only has been running 440- 500 pp depending on the season. Make sure you get off grounds to eat in town a couple of times and get to the east side. That was our biggest regret on our first trip, we felt like we missed something by only going to town a couple of times. We are now addicts and go 3 times a year, but don't do the AI anymore. Enjoy and prepare for the addiction.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

Is the $1400 quote "per person"? I'm assuming it is. Air from ORD to CZM in May is $460 PP. That leaves $940 PP toward the room..or $1800 total. Divided by 7 nights, that is about $240 per night for the room and AI. Does that sound about right for what you want to pay? Its not really a deal...its just the going rate that has been bundled as a package.

On Kayak the Palace is listed at $251 for the first week of May. For comparison, El Presidente is $217, Occidental Grand is $172, Sabor is $140 (another AI), Allegro is $127, Melia is $130, El Coz is $157 and Playa Azul is $121.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

Thanks for all of the replies, very much appreciated. Queeneee thank you for breaking it down. To update, expedia is $1445 per person Midway to CZM and that is 8 nights + $1500 resort credit. I guess "deal" in my mind is, "is this the best price at this time and fairly safe to book without thinking I could do better down the line?" 95% sure we will choose the Palace so I'm just trying to gauge whether the going rate for the deal is good. In the end, I realize it comes down to what I'm willing to pay and what someone is willing to sell it for. Thanks again to everyone

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

I would say thats a pretty solid deal cubs. Certainly close enough that I wouldnt regret booking it!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

With an 8 night stay and the resort credit, I agree....its a solid deal. Go for it!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Mexico - Cozumel Palace from Chicago

Thanks again everyone. We booked it and not looking back.