We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

el cielo on your own?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
el cielo on your own?

Is it possible to get to el cielo on your own for snorkeling, or do you need to take a tour to get there? All of the pictures look like it is just off the shore. Is there some place you can park and see all the starfish on your own?

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
837 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: el cielo on your own?

Not unless you own your own boat or are one heck of a hiking fanatic, familiar with hiking through the jungle. It's the location of the "bay" that is the problem.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 20:38
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: el cielo on your own?

Don't think you want to hike through -- it's in front of a freshwater runoff & jeep trail leading out of croc-infested Colombia lagoon! And the swim from the beach is a lot farther than it looks. Book an excursion...

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: el cielo on your own?

FYI...El Cielo is more of a "hanging out" kind of place and less of a snorkeling spot.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: el cielo on your own?

Yeah, El Cielo has white, white sand. There are conch, starfish, and the odd ray, but that's it for critters. Lots of fun on an excursion, though.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: el cielo on your own?

It's very beautiful and serene. There are lots of fish there -- mostly sand dwellers/pickers and juveniles and schools swimming through. Please respect the marine life and don't touch the starfish or pick up shells. Thank you.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: el cielo on your own?

Well said, Deb. When you google "El Cielo" images, there are far too many of people holding up star fish for the camera.

Party time and respect for the marine life should not be mutually exclusive.

Youngstown, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: el cielo on your own?

I don't think there are too many tours that go to Cielo. Tiger Aguilar Aguilar does - and his trips are amazing. Definitely the most fun I have on my Cozumel trips (I have been out with him three times and it gets better every time)! You can find him on Facebook or http://tigersadventures.com.

He will take you to a couple places to snorkel - in all of my three trips it has never been the same. I have seen spotted eagle rays, turtles, barracuda, lobster, etc along with beautiful coral and fans. Then its off to hang out at El Cielo for a while.

Definitely recommend him.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: el cielo on your own?

Adrian goes there on his Punta Molas Tour and Deanna from 2 D's Diving and Tours goes there. Not sure, but I also assume that Kim will take you there on the Adelaide.

Edited: 28 December 2012, 17:36
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: el cielo on your own?

how bout chichi charters ??do they go there?? and does anyone have any feedback on them???their reviews seem to be stellar

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: el cielo on your own?

I don't know, I did the Tiger tour 2x myself. It was AWESOME. He's a really neat guy, and he takes you to some nice spots. We saw lobsters, a turtle, rays, fish, a sea cucumber, plus the conch, starfish, etc.