We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Looking to book either the Playa Azul (their all inclusive) or El Coz for January.

I am interested in opinions (pro's/cons) on both properties.

Appreciate any input you have to offer.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
559 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Haven't stayed at either but will be at El Coz in Feb. It sounds like Playa Azul is probably the nicer of the two but was out of our budget.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 14:28
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Playa Azul is much in a quiter, prettier locale IMO. More of a boutique hotel.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

I stayed at Playa Azul in 2005, before it had the AI option.

I've stayed at the El Coz 5 times.

El Coz is the more affordable option (for me) and as froglegs said, Playa Azul is a boutique hotel.

Nothing negative to say about either of them. They were both really good!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,063 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

I would choose Playa Azul . To me, the nicer hotel and since they are not a totally AI hotel, their food is not mass produced and, I understand , of higher qualtity. I had friends stay at the Playa Azul recently and they thought it was great.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

I've considered Playa Azul several times, but personally, it just wasn't the overall best for the budget.

I always go back to El Coz. They just have more to offer there and for the price, you're not tied to always eating and drinking there...go into town or wherever you like to eat even if it's just for a switch.

I love El Coz...they've continued to improve with any situation that has been suggested or problems. They truly have "listened" to the guest's comments and advice! Love them!

Playa Azul definitely is a quieter and smaller place if you want that type of hotel.

El Coz has activities and a mini-golf, which is cool.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 17:29
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Thank you all that have replied to my question.

it will be a hard choice to make.

I truly admire how helpful this message area is.. As I've read many posts/replies thus far.

Keep up the good job :) and thanks again~

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
922 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Depends what you want. I started staying at El Coz in 1998. Love the place. Rooms are decent, everything is clean, service is nice, drinks suck, food is palatable at best. If get a good price and plan to go off resort for dinner then you are good to go. We would have returned this past vacation but had our daughter with us and knew we would never leave to go out for dinner, and we were right, five years old and ready for bed by dinner time after playing hard all day in the ocean. Soooo, I booked Playa Azul's All Inclusive this past Nov. We had two full beds. Nice, clean room. Ocean views as great as El Coz. However, I felt like a celebrity the entire week of our vacation at Playa Azul and plan to return nexrt year. HUGE different between a small, boutique hotel and a larger resort. SO, depends what you want. It was appreciated that I could order a real bottle of beer at Playa Azul vs a small plastic cup of draft at El Coz. Like I said, depends what you want. I loved that the super nice tender at the bar pulled out the keys to share with me the special, locked up tequila at Playa Azul and who the heck knows what I was drinking at El Coz. We ordered off the menu for lunch and dinner at Playa Azul and let me tell you, the food was OUTSTANDNG. El Coz has a good breakfast - but it ends there. I like to eat. I thoroughly enjoyed fresh fish almost every night for dinner at Playa Azul. My daughter loved her special lunches crafted by a very talented chef at Plya Azul. Most of which was not on the menu. The All Inclusive at Playa Azul was a little bit more for the week, but well worth it. Oh, did I mention I felt like a celeb? When we visited in Nov, we were the only family at dinner most nights so we received the service of ALL employees. Only 7 of the 50 rooms were booked that week and we had the beach to ourselves most days. Really, when I look back, I really do like El Coz, but I will only return to Playa Azul.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,063 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Good information , Terriv. Its always my opinion that you will get better quality food at a hotel with an AI option rather than an AI. As you mentioned, you usually order off the menu rather than mass produced AI food. I think you cant go wrong with Playa Azul unless you just prefer the larger AI atmosphere. As for me, I dont.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

El Coz also has a menu to order from...I do that a lot when I'm there.

I don't drink beer, but I do drink other "libations" and never had a problem.

Celebrity status at PA,,,,me too at El Coz....that's just the way El Coz "rolls" to everyone. smiling

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
922 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Azul or El Coz pro's and cons?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed El Coz during all of my stays there, and I even missed the extra activities like mini golf and cheesy evening entertainment (one year they had cock fighting, long time ago) on this past Nov trip, but I do like my food and I really enjoyed all of the freshly made dishes at Playa Azul. Last trip to El Coz we had terrible food, other than breakfast. Service has always been great there and the place is really clean, rooms were larger than at Playa Azul, but if you are into good food and plan to eat onsite then go with Playa Azul. It will not disappoint. Unless you are bored easily and need all the extra activites, which, are nonexistent at Playa.