We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Rays of Sun 2013

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
First Rays of Sun 2013

It is popular with many, especially locals, to view the dawn of the new year on Cozumels East coast. It is said that first rays of sun to bathe the country , are at this location(although that is disputed by Isla Mujeres).

Cozumel officials have announced checkpoints will be set up to assure no alcoholic beverages are taken to the beaches at that time. I would doubt they can be totally successful but they will try.

They will also be using the breathalyzer in the cross island road and the South hotel zone of the island.

If drinking for the New Years Eve festivities, let someone else drive.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Rays of Sun 2013

That just sounds fantastic. I think we will,have to plan for next year.

Thank you for the information, Robert.

Happy New Year.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Rays of Sun 2013

It is fun, BeCoz. I have done it several time with local friends.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Rays of Sun 2013

robert hate to ask but do you have any photos of this that you would like to share ? please

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Rays of Sun 2013

No problem with your asking but sorry to say, I rarely take photos anymore. If I did, I would be happy to share.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Rays of Sun 2013

The easternmost point in Mexico is Punta Sur on Isla Mujeres (86° 42' 36" W longitude). However, there may be more involved. I'm no astronomer, but given the angle of the earth to the sun there may be some affect from how far you are from the equator, so Isla being farther north may have a difference. Maybe an entire nanosecond. But hey--let us have our glory on Isla--you guys have all the reefs!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Rays of Sun 2013

Well, every little nanosecond counts!

7. Re: First Rays of Sun 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 10:17