We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

India
Level Contributor
142 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

Hello,

This would be my first trip to Mexico, and I have no idea where to go or what to expect.

I am particularly looking for a SAND beach. my question is. are all the beaches in Cozumel, SAND beaches or are there also STONE beaches.

also, is Cozumel very crowded (I have heard that many cruise ships come and kinda make everything very loud and overcrowded.)

I would like to avoid this.

I appreciate any help regarding my question

Thank you

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

Sand beaches north and south of town. If you are not in town when the cruise ships are, little impact to you.

STONE interface with the water at places like Cozumel Palace, Coral Princess, etc.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

Not much impact from cruise crowds unless you are in the center of town or at one of the beach clubs which they sell to their passengers. By 4 in the afternoon not much is seen of the cruise passengers since they are headed back to the ships which are almost always out late in the afternoon. Most days have ships and the Winter season is the busiest time for the ships.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

As for the sandy beach, I am assuming you want a sandy entry into the water. The Occidental Grand beach fits the bill! It is south of town so expect about $20 taxi rides to town. The cruise ships are arriving in town. so they are not an issue unless you are doing some of the tours.

Check out the Occidental Grand reviews to see if it is what you want!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

Look at this hotel map

http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel-hotels.html

If there is brown (not tan) next to the blue water, in general that is rocky ironshore. At least one exception: It looks like Cozumel Palace has a sandy entrance...not so.

Good advice from takeme2Coz. But there are others that meet the sandy requirement.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

Good advice from takeme. Occidental Grand would be a good choice for you.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

copilot.. where else is there a resort without the

ironshore entry?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

Allegro south of town

El Cozumeleno and Playa Azul north of town have a mix of sandy and rocky areas. Melia is sandy but the water can be murky.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

Thanks, i thought the Allegro beach hadIronshore at the entrance, but havent been by there in 4 years. Too bad the Coz Palace has

no sandy beach, I would love to stay there.

MaconMO
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

W stayed at a condo in the south area next to Aura/Sabor and there the word SAND means chewed up coral and shell. Very hard on my soft feet. WATER SHOES a must! The iron shore is a bit hard to navigate and a little scary at first when you see the sea urchins coming up out of the holes in the rock under your foot path. Most areas you stay at or visit, may have a boat dock - use it - problem solved.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: would like some info regarding the beach in Cozumel

If you want a fabulous sand beach, check out Ixtapa on the other coast.