We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best translation apps

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best translation apps

While my spanish is enough to get by in Cozumel eg.Una mas cerveza por favor. I plan to spend a few weeks in the interior and may need something more

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best translation apps

I use the.google translate app, which saves your searches so you don't have to keep typing in the most common phrases and questions until you learn them. But I wouldn't worry too much , most places we go we manage to get what we need with out too much trouble. Unfortunately most everywhere there is someone who speaks some English.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best translation apps

I use Google Translate, but be aware that it requires a data connection in order to work. Depending upon how you connect your device to data, that could potentially become expensive.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best translation apps

I'm a translator.. take me with you.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best translation apps

I have iTranslate on my iPad/iPhone (I think it was free). Its great! You can do a translation and save it, so that you do not need to have a WiFi connection to use. I make my own little phrase book of sorts to use with our housekeeper or when shopping or whatever situation I think I'll need. It will even "speak" for you.

This app is so good that I am able to use it to communicate with my Russian housekeeper at home. She doesn't speak a word of English. I have also used it to navigate on my own in Italy.

When we were driving around Thailand, we put a local SIMM card in our cell phone. We then made sure we had the phone number for our hotel concierge (or anyone in the area that is a local call) who speaks English. We could then phone them to help with translations when we found the need. We have actually found that most people (around the world) now have a cell phone and someone they can call who speaks a bit of English. We have resorted to simply asking with gestures for a phone + "English?" It usually works.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best translation apps

I like Google Translate, but I also have an app called Word Lens--just point your iphone at some text and it shows up in English on your screen. But it only works with standard block text--like signs, most menus, etc. Handwriting or stylized text doesn't work as well. Word Lens wasn't free but I think it was only a couple of dollars.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best translation apps

You have to be very careful to know the proper English to attempt to translate or you could get in trouble. Do you have any eggs? Do you have milk? Google translate that! LOL! Both verb usage and words vary in Spanish from different countries or even regions. It takes a detailed, thick collegiate type Spanish/English dictionary to have half a chance. It can be better to stick to single words and allow voice tone, hands to communicate more and avoid phrases unless you know what you're doing.

Learn how to pronounce basic letters. People complain about having problems getting cabs to Isis, because the poor drivers aren't mind readers. It can help to write places and addresses down and hope they can read.

A smile and a please (por favor) is a good opening to start. If your attempts are met with confusion, it doesn't help to speak louder and louder. Good luck with google and other apps, but know their limitations.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 08:38
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best translation apps

I'd like to find a translator specifically for Mexican spanish for Android.

The "dirty Mexican" app turned out to be worthless, but so far the best one I've found, as mentioned already here, is Google Translate.

Buena suerte, Pedro! Please let us know if you find a good one.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best translation apps

I'm thinking about "Do you have any eggs?"...Oy vay!

You have better than average Spanish skills, Pedro, so you should be OK with any app that will quickly offer specific nouns and verbs as you need them. And don't forget paper and pen to draw when all else fails!

Trip Report!!!!!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best translation apps

Agree totally with Jerry....you have to use extremely basic sentence structure to have half a chance with any auto translate device. Having said that, the iTranslate does work well. I take it to CZM with me every winter and have tried it out on numerous friends (locals) who say that it does a decent job on BASIC conversions. KEEP IT SIMPLE!

chicago land area
Level Contributor
14 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best translation apps

Books :)