We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your stuff while snorkeling?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Your stuff while snorkeling?

My wife and I are rookies (going in Feb.) and I have question. What do you do with you stuff when you go snorkeling? Cash, ID, towels, books, shirts/coverups, etc. I assume it's safe to leave on the boat if you are on a tour (I hope) but what if you are on the beach at your hotel or Passion Island?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

On our beach at the resort, we don't take ID or cash, etc. No one has ever bothered towels, books, sunscreen or the like. We just leave it on a chair. When at a beach club you can rent a locker or lock things in the trunk of your car. Again, we never take much of value. We keep the car key and one credit card in a waterproof case -- like this:

onlinescuba.com/…

colorado
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

http://www.kyssbags.com/

I just saw this on another post. Check it out.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

I just usually carry $40 or less and you will probably find that most of the beach clubs employees will give you an assuring nod that your stuff is just fine to leave on a table or chair where they can watch it. Most places we go they just tell us " Its ok" if we ask them about a locker. Some larger or busier places I would recommend a locker.

If you are there Feb 6th thru 12th thats Carnaval and some places may be pretty busy. We will be there then. Lockers may be a necessity that week.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 02:47
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

We carry cash, ID and room key in a case as shown by Queenee. Towels, flip-flops, book, sunscreen etc. we don't worry about. Staff are always kind about watching things but they can't watch your stuff every minute...they're working! My camera is a bit of a worry. Sometimes I give it to the bartender to keep behind the bar.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

Although a good idea I can see the kyss bag being easily defeated.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 05:27
Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

I think the kyss bag is pretty neat... has anyone tried it? How durable is the chain?

fort worth
Level Contributor
987 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

We found a really good waterproof container in the luggage section at Penney's. Way better than the other 96 we have tried.

The cash goes in that. Cameras come with us. The rest stays on the beach. Have not had any problems.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

I own the Kyss bag. It is large. It will stop thieves of opportunity. If you had bolt cutters you could probably cut the chain. But the bag is thick and while you probably could cut through it,, it would take while.

I own the medium bag and its huge.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,616 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

We keep our valuables out of sight in a back pack. When we are on the beaches, as a matter of habit, I simply snap the back pack to the leg of the chair so if someone does try a grab and go, they get the chair at the same time and that should attract attention.

If you are renting a car, always put the valuables in the trunk just as you would in the US. If you are renting a convertible, take it with you to the beach.

If you are on a tour boat, just leave it in your beach bag or back pack. You'll be fine.

While touring, there really is no need for a wallet full of cash and credit cards. Leave it in your hotel.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your stuff while snorkeling?

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I think a small waterproof container is the way I will go. I'm sure I'll have more "rookie" questions before we go!