We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

Brantford Ontario
Level Contributor
714 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

I've seen several posts - all verbatim - from a poster - to the best of my knowledge both subject resorts are now solely owned & operated by AM Resorts who sells all-inclusive vacation packages & also is now selling timeshare/vacation sharing or whatever the buzz word of the year is for this type of purchase. As a travel agent, I'd like to know if the information where the info they're sharing is legit & if so can be verified & exactly what they are telling people... The following is per numerous postings made in different discussions on the board

"They are owned by the same people and are both franchised with AM Resorts (Secrets & Sunscape). When you look around check out the Regency section before you talk to the timeshare folks. The Regency section was sold to timeshare owners as an exclusive area, private pool, bar (top shelf liquor promised) & restaurant. As you can see now that they took millions from 2500 American & Canadian Families all this has been taken away.

No matter how valid the contract looks, its impossible to enforce. Talk to an existing timeshare owners before you flush your money. Its soooo tempting once you are there, overlooking the ocean with a drink in your hand."

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

Is the thrust of the quoted material that 2500 timeshare owners lost their "investment"?

Edited: 06 January 2013, 03:04
Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

I do not have a timeshare, but from what I have heard over the years from owners & read on these forums, I believe the information is correct.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

You may be onto something with your concerns. You may want to PM the member who posted the 6th reply here to get some up to date info.

tripadvisor.com/…43693247

Brantford Ontario
Level Contributor
714 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

Cicopo - the 6th poster in that link only questioned what is/was or may be happening as was CO- Pilots reply to my post... I'm just asking ReefClubMember Denver Since Feb 2009

to clarify what he/she/they are writing about and to substantiate it with facts and written proof and IMHO a response to the forum is required based on numerous posts Reef Club Member has made. not a PM .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

The time share owners have a private forum, which ONLY allows owners access. A PM to that member may get you closer to that forum.

Brantford Ontario
Level Contributor
714 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

Thanks cicopo - not interested in the timeshare owner forum - ironically did a google and found a post of yours in Feb 2012 which sheds light on this but still not clear how/why the poster "ReefClubMember" insinuates the blame now is with AM Resorts as it appears Sabor or Wyndham or Reef ownership or sale of same created the timeshare issues - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k51902…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

Not unusual to find my name on many old threads because I've been a member of this forum since there were only 2 pages of questions & I served as a Destination Expert for several years. Because I'm not sure that I fully understand your question I'll give you some history.

Reef Club originally opened in very late 97 & I stayed there in Feb 98, while it was still being finished in several areas. It wasn't that big a property then but the original owners kept adding to it & added a time share section, Reef Resedencias. The entire resort was aimed at FAMILIES, & the time shares made it appealing to families.

Eventually the Sabor section was added (or an area was renamed) to be Adult Only. Around the time that got up & running management changes or whatever started falling apart & the owners leased the Wyndham name hoping to improve their image & kill off all the bad reviews. They also decided to build a high scale section & named it the Aura. which was also going to be Adults Only.

When the Aura was about to open things got ugly. It was being marketed by some agencies as a high end resort in Cozumel, and by others as a clothing optional "Swingers" resort, which just made no sense since it was right beside a "Family" resort & shared the same section of beach.

That was quickly shot down but again management had a great idea & decided to make the entire property Adult Only which was the start of serious problems between the time share owners (who have families) & management. Also around that time the WHO declared the property to have caused several cases of Legionaire's disease so the Wyndham organization quickly pulled their name from the property.

Also around that time the property was sold to new owners, one of which (I was told by phone) was a famous Tennis Player from Spain. That business group seemed to want the time share owners gone, but wasn't willing to buy them out so (from what I've read) they made life a bit more difficult for them relative to their vacation trips. That's part of what you're looking into.

ALSO it seems the sale contract may have been altered & the seller wasn't paid the right amount SO money was embezzled by diverting time share yearly fees. Arrests were made but I don't know if that's sorted out BUT many time share owners arrived in Cozumel to vacation only to be told they had to pay again before being allowed into their rooms.

AND now there may be a new owner, or is it just another renaming under the same ownership? Not sure, and so far haven't seen any positive news from time share owners that says everything's peachy keen.

Brantford Ontario
Level Contributor
714 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

Thanks again Cicopo - that gives me some good info re the entire mess... Do you know how long it's been since the 'timeshare buyers' had access to the property under the terms of their purchase? I'll be asking Secrets Aura management if they know whether AM Resorts is the new owner of the property etc when I'm there - again thanks for the info

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

No idea, but I don't follow the forums the way I used to. So far I haven't seen any serious complaints here or at Scubaboard which might be a good sign since many divers bought into the timeshare side. The owners group is really the best source since they are the ones who funded a lot of the building / expansion over the years & are at the mercy of the new owners if there are new owners. The last time around I tried to join the owners group but was refused for the obvious fact I'm not an owner; however one of the people making that decision was kind enough to phone me (he knew me through Scubaboard) & he spent a lot of time explaining the situation & how the timeshare owners felt about the new owners / plans to possibly push them out etc. I don't think that was ever resolved in a way that things went back to what they were under the original ownership.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Aura/Sunscape Sabor relationship?? with Reef Club

I tried to edit the last post but it took too long to find this link to the thread about the embezzlement so here's some info about it. I don't know if this was ever resolved or whether it's awaiting to go to trial in the US, Mexico or both. Also don't know how many lost money vs how many got refunds thanks to paying with a credit card.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k43426…