We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

My wife and I will be here from Monday to Monday. I will answer whatever questions posted.

Also will give live opinion.

Preface:

We booked a smoking deal thru apple, who lists this resort as a 6 golden apple (their highest rating). Jr suite

So far not so good!

I emailed the concierge 2 weeks ago noting when we would arrive and the possibility of an early check in. At the very least a room to freshen up and change in (hospitality room). I was finally able to get a reply a few days ago noting one or the other would be available to us.

We arrived at 2pm and our room was not ready. When asked about the hospitality room, we were told we could change in the lobby washroom and freshen up there. Not the warm welcome we were expecting. The concierge I spoke to was on site but not available to discuss this with us.

We were told to have lunch, given a pager, and told our room would be ready in 30 minutes. An hour later it was still it ready. We walked the grounds for another half hour and it was finally done.

The jr suites are in the old sabor part (pictured on the website with slides). The two sections are completely separate from each other.

Our room was at the third floor in a building with no elevator. The bell man asked me to help get our bags up there. Not a big deal but far from the level of service we've come to expect from the secrets brand.

We unpacked (room pictured on website is NOT jr suite) and got ready to hit the pool. I decided to check the hot water since previous guests have reviewed with issue. There wasn't any!

A call had two staff members here quickly but have yet failed to resolve the issue. They've been at it for an hour now. I would like to avoid a room change since we already unpacked. Will advise.

On a happy note:

The grounds are beautiful. A very lush tropical setting.

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

Hah!

Please ignore my time frames. I was looking at two different clocks and one was still in eastern time.

We now have warm water and were told that is the best they can do.

Going to try to resolve with the front desk.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

If you goto Sabor I would love to hear your thoughts! Going in May and the reviews have been bad recently.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

This is not good for the Sabor.

In Cozumel, I've never heard of a resort which has "hospitality rooms". (altho, that would be nice)

We also arrivied at our resort early and had to wait until after 3 pm until our room was ready. Time is different in Cozumel and you just can't buck the system. Ah, the joys of high season!!

After hours of travel, government employees who pick, probe and "evil eye" every traveler, and now things ain't right (after all that money was spent) I can guess your patients is short.

I suggest: take a breath (your in paradise) and enjoy your time.

boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

Could you please post photos of your room? Do you have bottled water and a fridge in room?

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

Lol! i totally agree about the weary traveler, but,I think hot water is the least the resort could provide. Back in the room now and the water is warm enough to take a comfortable shower.

There is water, pop, and beer stocked in the room fridge daily.

We plan to visit the Sabor sometime this week as there are 3 other restaurants we can try there, but, Sabor (Sunscape) cannot use the Secrets facilities.

Will get some pics going.

Btw the sunset was very, very beautiful ad a pretty good band was playing at the "sky bar" at the same time.

oz
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

palace resorts have hospitality rooms.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
307 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

Kenny - Thanks for taking the time on this!!!

we arrive Saturday - we'll be watching this thread closely. Unless you are booking a rustic resort, anything above 3 or more stars/apples, whatever deserve at minimum hot water. Certainly from time to time there could be issues, but that doesn't set the tone well.

I had sent the following questions to a couple of the more recent reviewers, but have not heard response back, if you have time to answer, great:

1. Were you offered an upgrade?

2. This was first day so you probably can't answer yet, but was there loungers readily availble on the beach, or do folks save the chairs early?

3. Wifi - obviously they have it or you are paying dearly on data or using a shared computer -- best signal, do you get signal in your room also? Have you used just to make a cell call and got decent signal?

4. anxious to hear your opinion of the breakfast buffet at sabor. Husband dives and it sounds like there is no way he can get done w/ bfast at windows before his dive trips. Probably have to do the buffet or try room service (recent poster didn't have much luck on that option though)

thanks again!

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

This has nothing to do with Secrets:

Our travel agent had us fly non stop into Cancun and take a shuttle to the Cozumel ferry and then a cab ride. These transfers were included in our price but DO NOT do this. Take the connecting flight and land in Cozumel. It may cost a little more but do it. Dragging your luggage through through the streets and waiting for it to be sorted off the ferry, then dragging it some more to a cab sucks!

This has nothing to do with Secrets:

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

1. We were NOT offered an upgrade.

2. We arrived in the afternoon and there were plenty of chairs everywhere. They are not at capacity but I'd say close to 75%

3. Wifi (for the time being) is FREE and I have decent signal in the common areas and our room. Have not tried the beach yet. I tested 2meg up/down in the room. I have made a few VoIP calls via a couple apps and the quality was decent to very good.

4. Don't plan to visit the Sabor buffet, but, will advise if we do. WILL be ordering room service though. Some pretty good offerings.

Thanks for the thanks! I have little else to do while my wife does her hair. ;)

Edited: 15 January 2013, 00:47
boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Aura 1/14/13 Live

Once your wife's hair is all "purty" hire the resort photographer to take some sunset photos on the beach!!