We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chen Rio seafood platter

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chen Rio seafood platter

We made this as one of our stops on the bar hop tour because some peeps wanted fresh seafood. We have had drink there many times but never ate. We ordered two platters that feed four each (700 pesos). It was very good. No it was REALLY REALLY VERY good!

They also have one for 1000 pesos to feed six peeps.

Lobster, shrimp, fried whole grouper, octopus, grilled snapper, avocado, pico, rice and some of the best toasted bread I've had on the island. Plenty of food and excellent service.

I know it's been recommended before but I have never tried it but glad we did.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 16:31
The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

We love that too....some people think it's too expensive, but when you divide it up - it's $175 pesos pp. Which is about $13 - $14 US. You get tons of food and it's wonderful !

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

Basically all grouper sold on the island is poached. Avoiding ordering it will help reduce illegal fishing. Snapper is a better choice, and lionfish a perfect choice.

fort worth
Level Contributor
984 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

Mark,

I always order grilled fish of the day almost every day when i am there and 90% of the time it is Grouper. A lot of times you don't get a choice.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

Maybe it's not really grouper in some cases...they just say it is. People eat conch all the time too when it is "out of season"....grrr.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

Whatever it consisted of-we polished it off in minutes. We had gone snorkeling and beach exploring up the coast and were famished. We sat down and waited FOREVER but when that platter came all you saw was eight hands (there were four of us) reaching and grabbing. Just shameful. But very good stuff-worth the wait.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

I've been known to get downright militant when "sharing" Chen Rio's ceviche. That stuff is like meth. So addicting.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

Maybe we should give it another try. Ours was overcooked for seafood. Maybe it was an off day for the cook. Always hate to write a place off for 1 visit, but it is easy to do when on vacation as your time is limited!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

We go 8-10 times a year usually order the fried snapper, never had a bad one.The wait is typical of Mexico, they do not have the hurry up attitude of the Gringo.. slow down and enjoy!!

9. Re: Chen Rio seafood platter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 05:19