We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh my another ATM question - sorry

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Oh my another ATM question - sorry

I have read everything on the ATM's and I have used pesos in Cuba so I agree I am in someone else's country and I want to use their currency. When you use the ATM how does it work ie. Does it ask if you want pesos/American or are some of them automatic pesos. I don't want to type in $100 meaning $100 worth of pesos and end up with only 100 pesos. I hope this makes sense. Couldn't find the answer in previous posts.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

I was confused when i first used one to. The ones i use give you the choices in pesos. The choices are 1000 1500 and 2000 so i figured it had to be pesos- I was right- do not get US dollars from an ATM in mexico you can be charged the exhcange rate twice, If you figure 100 pesos is like 8-9 dollars- i just use the options given for the amounts.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

Nearly all only offer pesos. A few offer a choice of US Dollars or pesos. They're pretty specific about this. Avoid ATM's on the street entirely, and you shouldn't run into any ambiguity.

If you type in 100, you'll get 100 pesos. You will never, ever get 100 dollars' worth of pesos unless you do the conversion yourself and type in the number of pesos that will correspond to 100 dollars.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
667 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

We willbe at the Park Royal, where would we find a safe ATM?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

I use the ones inside the chedraui- i'm sure there are some in the mega also. They may have one at ur hotel but usually very high fees.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

I try to use Banamex ATMs since they are of the ¨swipe¨ variety and cannot retain your card. Chedraui and Mega have multiple ATMs.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

After getting ripped off at Walmart ATM in Playa on a shopping trip, I bring US $ in small bills. and save the credit card for tours, we only do Apple Vacation tours and I can trust them. Otherwise the credit card never gets used. It is safer that way and I have yet had anyone refuse US$. Tip.. if you need 1 dollar bills, see the waitors, They will change a $20.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

Yes....the ATMs disperse in pesos....so think about it when you do your transaction. You are asking for pesos. I suggest you do the calculation before hitting the machine, so you know how much you want. We usually hit the ATM at Mega about once a week for a couple hundred dollars. Keep in mind that you will get a service fee every time you use the ATM, so using it fewer times for more money is less expensive.

Never had a problem with the ATM at Mega.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

the current exchange rate is approximately 12.5 pesos to the dollar so 1500 pesos is just about $120. We use ATM's at the Ched or Mega. Street ATM's usually have much higher fees. ALSO the ATM will ask if you would like to donate 5 pesos to charity, this is less than 50 cents. HOPE everyone using the ATM's donate, we enjoy their wonderful country if we can afford to come here we can afford to help out in this very small way.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

Thanks everyone. That's the info I needed!

10. Re: Oh my another ATM question - sorry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 05:18