We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best shore snorkeling?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best shore snorkeling?

we will arrive the first week of may on a saturday. i have mon,tue,wed,and thurs booked for diving,snorkeling and sportfishing[early may being a prime opportunity to fish in cozumel]. my question is; and i'm counting on all you DE's, what is the prime spot for shore snorkeling on sunday, our first full day. i'm leaning toward corona with dzul ha being a close second but i am intrigued with punta sur's reef and snorkeling. am i on the right track? any and all info is appreciated

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best shore snorkeling?

I'd say 1. Punta Sur, 2. Playa Corona and 3. Dzul Ha (aka Money Bar). Yes, you are on the right track and could possibly do all 3 in one day if you start early. We saw teeny seahorses in the grass at Corona.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best shore snorkeling?

Corona is good, you'll spend money there on food and beverage. At Dzul Ha you can bring your own cooler & food, at Dzul Ha swim north a couple hundred yards and you'll get into good coral formations. Stay close as you can to shore. You can also make the Money Bar your spot at Dzul Ha if you want restaurant food and beverage. Just depends on what you want. Never checked out the Punta Sur reef. Another great option is Playa Palancar but it's not a beach snorkel. They have a boat that takes out to the Plancar Reef, about an hour snorkeling deep water, last time we did it $35 per person. They have good food & beverage and a nice beach but not much to see right off the beach. Years ago my wife reminded me we did go to what we thought was Punta Sur snorkel spot, it wasn't good... It was after Wilma and there wasn't any real reef area to explore.interested to know myself if there is a good beach snorkel there.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best shore snorkeling?

FYI- It's hard to get in and out of the water at Dzul Ha...at least for me anyways. And I need a bathroom....and drinks. So Money Bar it is for us.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best shore snorkeling?

i definitely meant the money bar. i'm with ya froglegs..i heard at punta sur you swim out about 200 yds to get to the reef..thats do able for us. i'm wondering about the current out there; will we get swept over the reef quickly and then have to swim back to shore or can we traverse the reef at our liesure or what?? also where to put in?? how boutchya frogleggs?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best shore snorkeling?

To go a couple hundred yards off shore you all had better be very strong swimmers. You can find yourself in strong currents that can be unpredictable. My wife and I both grew up at the beaches of So. California so we've been around the ocean always, we've encountered some currents here that were difficult to swim against for any length of time. For my vote it's hard to beat the Money Bar with Dzul Ha. There are steps into the water at the edge of the MB's beach area or down toward the end of the Beach at Dzul Ha there is a walk in place that's not tough to use.

michigan
Level Contributor
499 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best shore snorkeling?

There is also decent snorkeling underneath Tikila which is owned by the same guys across the road at Papirika's, it has a easy access into the water and there is showers to rinse off after and lockers for any valuables you may have it is located next door to Casa Del Mar Hotel a few blocks away from the Puerta Maya pier south of the centre. We snorkeled here a few days whilst staying at the El Cid La Cieba, and I might say the food is also very good and reasonably priced.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best shore snorkeling?

For me although you do have to pay to get in, is Chankanaab. Money bar was ok but has the worst service I have ever had in Mexico.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best shore snorkeling?

We go to the money bar a couple times a week since it opened. The service has always been excellent. The waiters don't hover over you trying to push more drinks constantly, and because it's popular especially during happy hour two for one they do get busy. Read the reviews hundreds of very positives there's always a few that need to complain.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best shore snorkeling?

I've been to them all many times and all the information has been good.It is a good swim out to Punts Sur but the reef is excellent.Service at Money Bar has always been excellent and the waiters very friendly.There is a link to right on best place to snorkel and one of them is up north.Get into the water and let the current take you along the iron shore. Much to see!

10. Re: best shore snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 06:18