We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To do/se at Cozumel

Aarup, Denmark
Level Contributor
63 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
To do/se at Cozumel

We are planing a Day trip to Cozumel, what are the must se/do things at Cozumel?

We love to snorkle, but its not mandatory for the trip

Cozumel
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

Rent a car or hire a driver to take you around the Island. The views and beaches on the other side are beautiful. Be sure to stop at Coconuts for at least a drink, it is an awesome view from the cliff they set on.

missouri
Level Contributor
73 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

Go to thirsty cougar. Taxi driver will tell you they never heard of it. Ask for Pizza Hut . Thirsty cougar right next door. Loved it!

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

What's to do or see if you dont want to get a driver or taxi? What is within walking distance of the ferry dock, suitable for two who really like to walk?

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

If you like history and artifacts, Coz has a museum on Melgar (front) St. to the left of the pier as you leave the pier. It's very inexpensive.

If you're going to shop in town at all, I would do that first thing in the morning before the sun comes over in the afternoon,,,,it gets really hot on that front street.

United States
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

Oceanfreak,

What time do the shops open that are closest to the pier? Thx

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

Thanks, the museum would probably interest us. Something to see in the afternoon when it's hot outside! Anything else you recommend?

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

I don't know what day you're going, but on Sundays, some stores are closed and some don't open anywhere from 11:00 to 1:00, if at all.

On any other day they should be open by 9:00. I don't believe any of them open right on time. lol. Some may even be open at 8:00am.

United States
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

We are going on a Tuesday. Thanks for the heads up!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

Watch those drinks at the Thristy Cougar. Ran in there one day when it started raining and came out with it being our new favorite place to drink and people watch. The bartenders are heavy handed with the alcohol!! The staff is very entertaining too.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To do/se at Cozumel

Everyone is looking for something different in a vacation, but if just there for 1 day, I would rent a car ( Please Do NOT rent a scooter!) and drive the loop around the island.

Since you like snorkeling, maybe stop first at punta sur. The best shore snorkeling on the island, IMHO, the beach area is very quiet, and it has maybe the prettiest/calmest beaches on Coz too.

After Punta Sur,maybe head on up the east Coast road. That side of the island has lots of beautiful isolated beaches, but the water/surf can get pretty rough at times.

Chen Rio has a nice protected swim area, and is often a good place to stop and swim. I cannot recommend you eat there. Food is just okay, and they usually try to pad the bill and rip you off...

Likewise I cannot recommend Playa Bonita restaurant anymore. It used to be my fav on the East side, but since changing management the food quality has dropped considerably.

Punta Morena is a good place to stop and eat/drink/swim on the east side. Reasonable prices as well.

If you would rather do your snorkeling from a snorkel boat, you might try 2D's diving. I have used them a couple of times, and thought they were great.

If you are interested in shopping, I can't help much there, as I never shop much in Coz, except for groceries.

Several friends have said that Cinco Soles was the most interesting store they saw in Coz.

Hope I've helped.