We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezumals Revenge

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montezumals Revenge

Is this a problem in Cozumel? I haven't read much about anyone being sick. Last year we went to Cancun but never left the resort in fear of getting sick.

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
472 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montezumals Revenge

I've never had it but know a few people who have, but I am not so convinced it was not due too overconsumption of alcohol!lol Just be sure to drink bottled water or if going out make sure the water is filtered. Most restaurants have bottled water available and I have never had an issue eating at the local restaurants, just read this board and see where the people recommend going since I doubt they'd give a good critique of a place if they got sick there!

I've also heard people who eat a daily yogurt a week before they go to Mexico to build up some bacterial resistance(?)

Also, you can always ask your Dr. to prescribe an antibiotic just in case, but not a sulphur based one since you'll hopefully be in the sun.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montezumals Revenge

That would be really sad not to leave the resort. So much in the way of good food to experience. As the other post said , just take common sense precautions and you will be fine.

Much of the problem comes from the changes that your system is not used to and has little to do with Mexico. I had friends from Cozumel who visited me often in the US and always at least one of them got sick soon after arrival in the US.

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montezumals Revenge

What a shame to have never left the resort for fear of getting sick.

There is so much beauty and things to explore... wonderful places to eat at. Wow. I suppose you could get sick at your resort also. Who is to say that their chefs prepare everything for the masses as it should be.

We have traveled to Playa del Carmen -Our first trip the only place we ate out at was the Hard Rock in Cancun, and food on the excursions we booked because lunch was provided. Second trip was only for 3 nights to Cancun and we only ate at the resort that time except for when we went out for desert to the mall, and on 2 excursions becasue lunch was provided.

We ate out for lunch and dinner every day in Cozumel (our 3rd trip, 3 months ago we stayed at a B&B) and had some of the most wonderful food. To tell you the truth I think it was the airplane food that turned our stomaches a bit and that was from the USA. ha! I wish we had restarunts around here that had such good food as we had down there.

I hope that this time you will venture out - Drink bottle water. Order your meat well done.

You can search this forum and others and get very good restarunts reccomendations.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montezumals Revenge

Also brush your teeth with bottled water. Get away from your hotel and relax.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montezumals Revenge

I've never been sick but my spouse has twice. Next to certain it was the resort food.

The choices downtown are fairly safe. I try not to order anything in the way of fresh seafood on the east side because most of these places do not have running water, such as bob marley's bar.

Keep in mind, part of the reason why some get a little sick is usually alcohol related and this leads to dehydration. Add the sun into the picture along with a last second diet to be in swim suit shape in the weeks before your vacation, you may be a candidate.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montezumals Revenge

Never had a problem in Coz through 5 trips. Went to Cabo once and almost had to be hospitalized due to Montezuma. I've heard the West coast resorts have more problem with this. But have never seen it with my dive club and friends going to Cozumel many many times.

Mark

michigan
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montezumals Revenge

bottle water only.....take anti-diarera (sp) pills with you...if you are careful...no problem....of the four of us I was the only one with a hint of problem .....probalby too much beer and sun....enjoy the entire isl.

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montezumals Revenge

Thanks everyone. We just returned from Punta Cana and I am looking into the El Coz for next year. Although we had a fabulous time in Punta Cana, my son had the runs for 2 weeks after returning. While there we all took chewable acidopholus and were fine. I guess we should have continued it awhile after we got home.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montezumals Revenge

We have been to El Coz and other locations in Mexico many times and we have never been sick and you have to eat other places besides the resorts or you are going to miss some great eating places. We use a natural product called Artemisia Combination by Natures Sunshine. We take 2 per day when we arrive unless our stomach feels uneasy then we take 2 per meal. It works great for us and a few of our friends have gotten the running cha cha's and after they take a few of these they feel much better. I'm sold and we use them at home if someone gets sick also. Contractor

Kent Island...
Level Contributor
474 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montezumals Revenge

Lots of water, Not so much booze, and two pink tablets in the morning. Guaranteed good time !! Oh yeah, and a two tank dive each morning.