We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

Craig, Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

What's the routine for getting to the airport in Cancun from Cozumel?

After the ferry ride, whats the best way to get to the airport?

Any ideas on typical and worst case travel times?

Also, how long in advance to we need to arrive at the airport for security, customs, etc? I trried the search a couple different ways, but didn't really see what I need, so sorry if this is well covered subject, I'm just not smart enough to find the info.

Thanks in advance for all advice

Mike

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

Its really very simple. I find that some of the detailed instructions posted are confusing and not very helpful.

To me, the easiest and cheapest way to the airport from Playa del Carmen is the ADO bus. The bus terminal is about 2 blocks away from the pier and an easy walk. If you have too much luggage, you will find tricycle porters available at the ferry as you arrive.

Once at the ADO terminal , buy your ticket for the next airport bus and you are set to go. The travel time on the bus is under one hour depending on traffic. (actually, I would suggest you buy your ADO bus ticket at the office on the Cozumel pier. That way , you are assured of a seat on the departure you want to the airport)

You can see the bus departure times here on this ADO site:

www.ticketbus.com.mx

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

You will find this helpful

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Be at the airport three hours before departure.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 18:21
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

It is really very simple. You should not have any problems. The airport authorities do request you arrive 3 hours before departure and lines can be long. But most dont do that and only arrive 2 hours before departure. But the earlier the better.

Craig, Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

Thanks for the info everyone, it looks pretty easy. My wife has to leave a couple days earlier than the rest of the group, and has to fly out of Cancun in order to get to Denver early enough to make a connection. I was worried about sending her away by herself in Mexico, but it looks like it should be ok. Are the busses really as nice as in the pictures?

This would save me from hiring a taxi to deliver her to the airport, then bring me back to Playa.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

That fastest we've ever done the bag drag was less than 2 hours. We caught the bus just as it was ready to leave. We caught the ferry just as it was ready to leave. We were high fiving each other.

Paybacks are hell. The next time we just missed the bus and just missed the ferry. No worries. The bar is right next to the ferry. We had lunch and a few adult beverages.

Enjoy the cheesy "B" movie on the bus.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

The three hour guideline was really before the new terminal was built. Then the lines could be really really long. Now since the new terminal is operating 2 hours is plenty on time. Agree take ADO from Playa. Taxi is only a little faster and is expensive. You want to move right along to the ADO terminal once off the ferry or you can miss the next bus and have to wait either a half hour or hour for the next one. And YES the buses are nicer than the plane she'll fly out on.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 14:35
Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

You may want to consider Mayair, which flies from Cozumel to Cancun. It is ver fast and very easy.

I personally loathe the ferry, taxi/bus option to grt to Cancun airport. There are too many variables and connection times for my liking.

We always take the Mayair route now and the view is spectacular and the service is excellent too.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

The Mexican first class buses are very nice, with a bathroom and tv in Spanish :-) The second class buses are a bit cheaper and they are fine too, just more basic. We dont mind the second class ones, but the first class ones are like tour buses.

Craig, Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

Hey BeCoz, thanks for the heads-up on the Mayair service. It's only $63, that might be just what we need. Whats the check-in time and security like for that flight? I'm guessing it might be fairly quick, being a domestic Mexican flight and all.

10. Re: Cozumel to Cancun via ferry-how and how long.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:16