We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Royal Club

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Royal Club

Just wondering, is it worth the extra money for the Royal Club at the Grand??

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

We didn't stay at the Royal Club but we found the deluxe rooms and service to be exceptional - for us anyway !

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

We've stayed at both. The Royal Club was very nice but so are the regular rooms. Truthfully, we wouldn't pay the additional $$. The Royal Club sits behind a gate with a huge hot tub but it's cold. It also has a nice restaurant. The food was good there but we didn't take advantage of it too much because at dinner you have to have reservations and we don't like to be on a schedule while on vacation. They also have breakfast and lunch but we prefered to have a faster meal to take advantage of the beach. I guess it boils down to what you might want out of your vacation.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

The Royal Club also comes with free Wi-Fi. The deluxe rooms charge $84 aweek for the Wi-Fi. You can get cheaper internet by using the OG computers (at a lower cost, $12 for an hour). Besides the restaurant (which serves breakfast, no reservation, and dinner, reservation only), the "hot-tub" which is actually a round pool with air jets, can have a cool water tempature at times, there is very little to boast about for the upgrade cost. All the different deluxe rooms I've stayed in were basically the same. VERY NICE!! But, I have to get the Wi-Fi. (Don't ask)

The royal club pool does stay open all night and the bar is right across the way. (Except when occupancy is very low, then they close the RC restaurant and bar)

The RC is right in the middle of the resort. Same walking distance to beach or restaurants.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

Hi, thanks for letting me know. We paid an extra $350 for the both of us. Wanted something a little nicer as the other rooms were pretty basic and liked the idea of just going downstairs to the restaurant for breakfast. It mentions a pool and hot tub. I see a round hot tub in the middle of the RC grounds but not sure where the pool is? Can you order food to your room? When I stayed there before in the regular rooms there was no room service. Just seeing what the difference is. Also, is there a separate bar area for RC members?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

There isn't a separate pool. It is a large pool/hot tub. They had room service but we didn't order it. Hmmm, separate bar area????? I can't rmember that. Maybe the restaurant handles that. We really only used the RC area to sleep, shower and check email. Other than that we were out enjoying the rest of the resort.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

The restaurant in the RC area has a bar. Last April we watched the bartender keep several ladies happy as they spent the entire evening in the hot tub. They must have tipped well, because I don't think they left the pool all night. Haha

Last Sept the restaurant and bar in the RC area was closed because occupancy was very low. But the RC area was open.

Oh, almost forgot. If your room is in the RC area they will golf cart you and your bags to your room. The RC area also has a seperate area for checking in/out. Very nice!!!

If you are in a deluxe room, you stand in line at the front to check in/out and you shlep your own bags to the room.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

Is the free WIFI actually in the rooms or is it just that you have access to a computer in the private check in area?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

We were in a deluxe room and didn't have to schlep our bags to our room - I'm surprised rhodesaz that you had to, considering you've been there so often!

You can buy Wi-Fi for your room - it's not free - we were there for 2 weeks and it cost us over $200 (for our "can't be out of touch" teenaged daughter)

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

sh_mathieu, the Wi-Fi is actually a router on the first floor (at least in all the buildings we stayed in). You need a password to get into the Wi-Fi. The computers near the check-in (where you rent time) require a special user name and password, given to you when you buy the time. The password to the Wi-Fi is different at each building. I've never had a problem connecting, even tho we were on the third floor several times. I believe we paid $84 for a week of Wi-Fi.

Gail, maybe I was in a hurry to get wet, that's why we shlepped our stuff to the room. haha After traveling all day I was in no mood to wait. Besides, the luggage is on wheels. Sometimes I can be so impatient.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Occidental Grand Royal Club

I get impatient on vacation too David, if I didn't have two large bags to schlep I'd have done it myself!