We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Davenport IA
5 posts
Save Topic
Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

This will be my first trip traveling since being gluten free and I just want to make sure that I will be safe to eat while I am there. I emailed Iberostar but their response was very vague and I do not want to get there and not eat for the entire vacation or end up sick.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

Is there a question in this? Are you Celiac or gluten sensitive?

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

I can only imagine the look from my freinds in cozumel trying to explain to them gluten free- lol- my parents are on this kick now also. be there tommorrow- Good luck- you shoud probably bring your own food,

Edited: 15 February 2013, 18:14
Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

Okc- for some people it may be a "kick" but for some it may be no choice. I was wondering how you would explain it, too!

Davenport IA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

I am celiac so I have no choice but to eat GF. I am wondering if there has been a good or bad experience from anyone.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 18:47
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

I saw some gluten free items for sale at Mega and at Guidos new deli. I think you will just have to watch what you order. Grilled fish should be GF. We had wonderful grilled fish and salads at del Museo one night. I wouldn't want to trust eating at an AI.

Davenport IA
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

In an effort to not sound too picky I don't eat fish or seafood. Honestly I wouldn't even want to risk traveling if it wasn't my husbands dream.

Davenport IA
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

In an effort to not sound too picky I don't eat fish or seafood. Honestly I wouldn't even want to risk traveling if it wasn't my husbands dream.

Is it easy and accessible to get to the grocery store or deli? My husband sees little need to leave the resort as we can do everything there.

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

If you are only eating at the iberostar then I guess you will be in their hands. I searched "gluten" in the search bar and found quite a few posts including one for this card you can print in Spanish. www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html

I would get with the restaurant manager when you arrive and find out how helpful they will be. Otherwise you will have to eat out away from the hotel or go grocery shopping. I don't know anything about the staff there, but normally most everyone in the hotel industry in Cozumel have always been very helpful and accomodating with guest needs.

The grocery stores are easy to get to but you will have to take a cab. Probably $20 plus each way. If you decide to eat out I saw lots of recommendations in the other posts I found.

I never have trouble eating but I stick with grilled fish and meats and fresh vegetables, corn tortillas etc, but I am not celiac, but just gluten free. I don't usually have to worry as much with kitchen cross contamination even though I probably should.

Davenport IA
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

I am very careful as a general rule, but find that I don't have reactions to cross contamination so I don't worry about that too much. I am scared to be at their mercy that is my fear! I have been hospitalized before due to severe problems after eating gluten and don't need to spend vacation in a foreign hospital :(

toronto
Level Contributor
741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Trip to Cozumel- Iberostar and need Gluten Free

You should be fine if you are smart with your choices. I have no health issues but generally don't eat much in the way of carbs, there was always fruit and salad options although they could be limited, omelletes for breakfast and generally a roast in the buffet or grilled choices in the a la cartes, rice is pretty much a staple. We were there over New Years. I would bring some of your own snacks to fill the void.