We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabor resort questions

Sutton, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Sabor resort questions

My family and I are going to Sabor resort on Feb 25 and my 13 year old son wants to know if there are punching bags in the gym? I am bringing snorkeling gear but I am not a great swimmer, will I be able to see some fish close enough to shore so that I don't get myself into trouble? And what are some of the better tasting drinks on the resort? We have never been to Cozumel before and will want to see the Mayan ruins. What is the best way to do that, tour through the resort, rent a car or taxi? Thank you.

The Original Salsa and Salsa
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes
Tours Plaza - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Safe Tours Cozumel
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Wild Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sabor resort questions

I don't recall any punching bags at the gym.

There is a rope barrier to keep you from floating out to sea or into the boat lane. The water near the barrier is about 10 feet deep. It is gradually shallower as you near shore.

You don't need to be a real strong swimmer especially with fins. We rode the current. Usually we start down by Aura & get out at Sabor & walk back (lazy!)

There are lots of fish near the pier & rock outcroppings.

Entry to the water is rocky so water shoes are great. If you feel uncomfortable, you can always practice snorkeling in the pool first.

Drinks. Where to start? Breakfast - mimosas, screwdrivers. Lunch-strawberry daiquiris, margaritas, Riviera Maya, piña coladas. Wine with dinner. So many drinks & so little time!

We don't want to rent a car when we are there so we took a tour we booked at the resort. It took us around the east side, to the ruins (very knowledgeable guide) & a little shopping. We felt we saw & learned more than we would have on our own.

We have always enjoyed our stays at Sabor. Just realize it is not a fancy resort so you are not disappointed. The employees are wonderful & the location is beautiful. Have fun!

Sutton, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sabor resort questions

Thank you so much for your reply. I got my water shoes so that must mean I am ready to go. We didn't pay for 5 stars and I am not expecting it. My last holiday was to a 3 star resort in Cuba so this will feel like 5 stars. I was thinking a tour is the way to go since I haven't been to Cozumel before and really want to see some of the ruins. I am sure I will have a blast.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sabor resort questions

best snorkeling around the peer just be aware of any incoming dive boats

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sabor resort questions

Favorite drink from our Oct. '12 visit: Pina Colada with a shot of melon liquor.....tasted great in the pool! You will LOVE Sabor. No, it is not fancy, but the staff is great and the snorkeling right off the beach is fantastic. Have a great time.

Sutton, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sabor resort questions

Couple of more questions, are the pools heated? I plan on bringing a bubba drink cup, is that ok at this resort? Leave in like 36 hours and the time is not moving

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sabor resort questions

Sorry I have to laugh "Heated pools in the tropics" I haven't heard that being asked before. No pun intended. Have a great trip and yes bring your mug!

The best drinks we had is at Paradise beach you can walk south off your beach area and order a drink in a cocunut very expensive but well worth the treat.

Sutton, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sabor resort questions

NeNie I was in Cuba in January 2 years ago and the pool was freezing, I just wanted to know if this pool was going to be nice enough to enjoy. Thank you for the idea for Paradise beach

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sabor resort questions

The heated pool question has been asked several times through the years, but it's not like the questions asked over and over. lol.

There are heated pools on the island though, or at least one that I know of...Coral Princess.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sabor resort questions

No the pools are not heated at Sabor. It is a quite common complaint. Whether They are warm is really dependent on the weather. Some days they feel like bath water & other days a bit nippy.

I am a wimp so I wear a rash guard & it helps me to lay on my float & get used to it gradually.

Often the ocean is warmer.

We bring about 20 ounce insulated cups. It is perfectly fine.

10. Re: Sabor resort questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 07:15