We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

Is it safe to rent a car , I've been reading some Horror stories , that if you get into an accident you go to jail and pay for the victim's loss wages.

Tours by Taxi Cozumel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fishing KayKib
Sightseeing Tours
Del Mar Aquatics
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

Yes, it is safe. No worries, it is fun. We stayed away from the downtown area as much as possible, the rest is a piece of cake.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
856 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

there are numerous past threads on this forum that address this issue. i have discovered that numerous people {most, i think} do rent in Coz and seem to enjoy the experience and most seem to be quite loyal to certain rental agencies...BUT, if you are in an accident there could be some serious issues to contend with.. believe me, if you knew me you would be perplexed that i am, in this case, acting as the voice of reason or caution. my personal itinerary upcoming does not necessitate me renting a car..i don't want to spend 1 minute of my 1 meager week in a Mexican jail..with that being said, i am only speaking of my own itinerary...if i were there for 2 weeks or a month or 2 months i would have to seriously rethink that. please read the past threads..the destination experts have much knowledge and insight. i am not one..i have not been on the island since 1988

Rockwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

You could also just look into renting a taxi for the day... It's a great way to see the island.. You don't have to focus on the road and if you want to stop and have a few beverages you don't have to worry about it... 6-8 hours is going to cost you about 80-100 bucks... but hey you walk away at the end of the day no worries.

This is what we do.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

It's safe as long as you don't drink and drive. If you're only renting for a day, maybe just rent right from your hotel, so you don't have to get into town and back just to get the car. It'll be more expensive than the cheaper places, but you should get a pretty good vehicle for the price.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

The main thing, really, is not to drive like an idiot or drunk so as to avoid hurting people.

Think of it this way: tourist comes for a day, runs over your kid, wants to leave before everything is settled and your kid still needs lots of orthopedic surgery. Does that seem fair? Not to me. The local system is that everyone stays put until things are sorted out, or a (potentially large) deposit that covers likely costs is made.

We've been in a few fender-benders over the years. No worries. No jail.

Downtown is not only safe, but it's also charming, fun, and interesting.

Imagine the horror stories people read about New Jersey! Now, that'll give you goosebumps.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

If you rent a Car here, and get into an accident and hurt someone, (in your case, "The Victom") You will be liable to pay restitution in full either by a cash settlement, Mexican rental insurance, or any other means that satisfies the injured party before you can leave. Mark S. kinda hit the nail on the head.

Laws are different here than the US, so pay attention, do not drink and drive, and learn a little basic spanish to read street signs etc....Accidents happen all over the world, so rent smart, and drive safely.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,295 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

Well said by Dan. If you use common sense and dont drink and drive, its very unlikely you will have a problem. Rent and enjoy.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

Great responses by all above, giving a variety of positions and options for the OP to consider...This is what this forum is all about!

To the OP, I can only add that in your concern about auto liability issues, please don't opt instead for the alternative of renting a scooter to drive around the island. Driving around the island on a scooter may seem carefree and fun, but is IMHO dangerous, especially for a first- timer, driving in Mexico or unfamiliar with Coz. Others may feel differently, but I only say this to try to help make your vacation a fun and safe one.Through the years I have seen so many accidents involving tourists on motorcycles.

Hope this helps.

Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

Thank you all for the responses, I'll be renting a car to tour the island, drive safe , smart, and sober

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is is safe to rent a car for one day to tour the island?

How easy is it to drive around San Miguel if you have never been there before and don't speak Spanish? Where do you park, are there parking lots or do you park on the street? Since we are a group of 5 we are trying to decide if it is better for us to rent a car for the day or just take a taxi in and out of town.

Thanks for your advise

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel
San Miguel
397 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico