We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

Hampton, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

We are staying at the Allegro Cozumel and we will need to call home and check in on the kids a few times while we are there. We have Verizon Wireless, will it work here if I upgrade to the International service? If we are only making a few short calls would a calling card be a better option? If so do we buy it there? Or is Skype or FaceTime on my iPhone the best way to go? Thanks in advance : )

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

Could you not just get in touch via email? Canadian and US cell carriers are different, but we had a $300 bill the last time we tried to use an iPhone in Mexico, with the bulk of the spendiness coming from the Mexican side of things rather than our own carrier. We won't even bother trying again.

Can you not check in via email? You can either use their computers for a semi-reasonable price, or the wifi is something like $80/week. Other than that, I'd say calling card. There's a machine and pay phone in the lobby.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

Last time we went to Cozumel we added the International option for our AT&T phone for just one month to bracket the time we were in Cozumel. It was an extra $15 on that months cell bill, but it insulated us from getting a huge bill. This next time we don't have AT&T (a smaller local carrier), so we may just make a few < 5 minute check ins with family while we are gone and give them the hotel number in case of emergencies.

From what other posters have said elsewhere - if there is free wireless at the hotel then Skype or Facetime would definitely be the cheapest option - assuming they have an iphone/ipad on the other end for facetime.

Brillion, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

I have Verizon Wireless also and had the international plan added to my phone at no cost. Thus when I had to do a couple of short check ins at home it ran me about a $1 a minute. Texts are cheaper by the way. I've used it 3 yrs now and I would recommend it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

There is no free wifi at the Allegro.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

Our verizon worked at the Allegro too. Text messaging is cheaper but it does end up at like 25 cents a text or something like that so be careful how much you text.

Add international calling prior to leaving and update your phone before you go. Your bill will be larger so keep it short.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

If you have a smart phone and access to a decent wi-fi signal then there are plenty of voip apps that will allow you to phone home for free.

There are also apps that will allow you to send text messages via an app for free.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 19:10
Fort Montgomery...
Level Contributor
415 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

I downloaded the Voxer app so as long as I can find wifi I will be using that, I'm not big on doing the FaceTime thing personally. I used the Verizon international plan in the past but they changed it last year so it just doesn't seem worth it for me anymore. The Voxer app you can do like a walkie Talkie,text and send pics. A friend of mine uses it to talk to his girlfriend in England and really likes it.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

I loaded Skype on to my netbook. We called my 96 year old father everyday. No problems. All you need is Wi-Fi and the other person being on Skype.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

We have at & t and keep the Mexico coverage on our phones for 4.95 month and use our phones quite a bit in Mexico and never had any surprises on our bills. You can add it before you go and delete it when you get back but we just started leaving it as my husband was working near the border at times and we would sometimes pick up a Mexico tower while still in texas! The other nice thing is I can call and lines in Mexico from here for .09 per minute. Sometimes I like to talk to the people I deal with the first time especially.

I would think most carriers would have this type plan. It is not so important to us now but we had 2 parents on hospice so it was important. Just like for some people it is important to talk with you kids. Even on vacation.

10. Re: Cell phone, CallingCard, Skype, or Facetime/Allegro Cozumel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 06:16