We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directionally impaired person needs directions!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Directionally impaired person needs directions!

I should start a show the most directionally impaired person. I love my GPS. I have been lost so many times I am very good at getting unlost and I never panic. These are the directions I was given for Josephina's.

The cab driver will let you off in the middle of Third Street (Calle 3) in the block that is between Avenue 20 and Avenue 25. The one story house you want is in the middle of the block on the right side of the street as you face the ocean. The façade is covered in baby blue and white tile, wide open welcoming front door with lace table cloth hanging in it, large window, low white wall enclosing a small front terrace and the number #465 prominently displayed. There is a large cartoon mural on the wall of the house directly adjacent.

Hop in the cab 30 minutes before the class start time and you'll be at her house with time to spare. From there you'll walk the two blocks to the municipal market which is a fascinating part of the class, then back to the house to continue the lesson and enjoy the food. Really fun class and a great cultural experience.

So basically what I need is REALLY SIMPLE directions. Or reassure me these are easy instructions - lol Anyone know where this is? Going on my own (that's o.k. I do stuff like this all the time by myself) but hoping it's easier then it sounds.

Thanks

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

Sorry but I don't see how anybody else is going to beat THOSE directions.........pretty specific IMHO.........have fun!

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

You could practice with google street view going back and forth. Beyond the stone wall, but before the apartments. This view is from June 2009, your description is accurate for today. Ask taxi to drop you off by the sidewalk, not in the middle of the street. http://goo.gl/maps/m9lVj

London, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

We went last year and just gave the driver the directions that we were given and looked for the light blue house. It was real easy to find. This year my daughter and I are going to walk there. Hopefully we can find it. I did buy the big yellow map last year in Cozumel which is a pretty good map. And I am not afraid to ask directions if I think I am lost. lol

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,161 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

¨ And I am not afraid to ask directions if I think I am lost¨

This reminds me that for years, I heard that most Mexicans will give you directions even if they really dont know. I have found that somewhat true. I think they believe its rude not to help you ha ha.

The strange thing I find is that Mexicans often stop me on the street and ask directions. I am flattered but wonder why they think this gringo knows anything. But sometimes, I can actually help.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

I am a pro at asking for directions. But when I saw avenue 20 and avenue 25 I thought is that 5 city blocks? Does Third intersect? Whatever like I said I'm good at unlost and usually end up were I am suppose to be - lol

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
275 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

Real easy to find. Across Calle 3 from Las Palmas, a great restaurant for lunch. One of our favorites! Street numbers go in increments of 5, so only 1 block! Loved the cooking class.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

I have never found that asking for directions on the island is useful. Even from expats, I have received directions like this; "take a right at the blue building on the corner, go down the road a little and take a left where you see the guy selling newspapers, continue past the rotisserie chicken stand and take a right at the taco stand with the yellow awning" ....and I look at them dumbfounded

You got really good directions. 20 to 25 is more like one city block

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

gbh062559 thanks I get it now. I was thinking 20 - 25 was five blocks. It's just one. That won't be hard then. Good to know the houses go up by 5's. Wineott - love the name - think I got it figured out. It's making sense now.

Thanks again everyone!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

This may also help you in case you want to do some more sight seeing on your own:

streets running to and from the waterfront are called "calle", odd numbered calles are south of Benito Juarez

and even numbered calles are north of Benito Juarez

streets running parallel to the waterfront are called "avenida" and go back in increments of 5.

I bought a great map from Cinco Soles last time we were there, it is large but has lots of places marked on it.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Directionally impaired person needs directions!

VLECanada now it is starting to make sense. Thanks for the great explanation. Benito Juarez is the main road I want to take to see the ruins and teq. factory and it takes you to the East side of the Island. Thanks everyone it is really starting to make sense - this will also help us when we rent a car for the day.