We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

Wildwood, MO
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

Can't decide between Occ. Grand and Iberostar. Has anyone been to both or can compare?

We're divers who like a full hour plus underwater time. Is that allowed at both places? We also prefer dive boats with 8-10 max divers, not 16 divers even if broken into smaller groups in the water. Don't care how small the boat is.

We don't travel light and like places to store clothes, etc. Is this a problem at the Iberostar? How about the Grand?

Is the water safe to drink or is plenty of purified water provided? Is the food safe to eat - hot foods kept hot and cold foods cold? I have a sensitive stomach to food poisoning.

Is sailing and kayaking included?

We plan to go Mar. 2013 - Spring Break, so our son can go as well (he is also a diver). Does the Grand or the Iberostar handle the busy season better?

Any help you an be ASAP will be greatly appreciated!

susan

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

Full disclosure: I have only spent 1 night at the Grand, none at the Iberostar...but I can guarantee you that the rooms at the Grand are much bigger than Iberostar; Iberostar has the little huts like the Allegro does, and they're...cozy. You should be able to see traveler photos of the rooms in the reviews section. Both hotels will provide you with bottled water to drink. I can't really comment about the food, as I've only eaten 3 meals at the Grand (the food was the same as the Allegro's, IMHO, so it was okay, but not mind-blowing) and I haven't eaten at Iberostar.

As for the diving, I can't help you, but there's no reason you couldn't use ANY dive shop you want; you're not restricted to the in-house ones.

Iberostar has better snorkeling, but the Grand has a sandy beach, if that matters at all.

Have fun, wherever you choose! :o)

ohio
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

I have been to the grand 6 times, the Iberostar once.

The rooms at the Grand are larger. They have better rooms, nicer bathrooms

with a closet for your clothes. A nice size balcony.

The rooms at the Iberostar are small, damp, dark with leaky ceilings as well as rotten boards on the small balcony.

Service all around at the Grand was better even when it was slow.

Service at the Iberostar was nonexhistant. The waitors pretend you dont exist so they dont have to bother with you.

Food was better at the Iberostar, IF you don't mind sharing your table with nasty cats who are penned up in the enclosed main buffet. But dont expect any service, I watch what I eat at buffets, especially with temp sensitive foods.

The grand does have a grill area at the Beach buffet where they grill for lunch.

Both have good booze and friendly bartenders. Iberostar has a poolbar while the Grand doesnt.

Bottle water is provided at both resorts as well as a few drinks in the fridge

We are not divers, so cant answer that question.

We don't take kids, so I cant comment on that either.

Both the resorts have beautiful grounds. Good luck with your research on the two resorts. There are lots of pictures on both resorts on here.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 17:41
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

We stayed at the Iberostar in 2010. The food was good. Another couple we met from Texas goes to Cozumel 2 or 3 times a year. According to them the food is better at the Iberostar. Google image search Iberostar Cozumel rooms to an idea of the room size.

The Iberostar uses Dressel Divers and the Grand uses Dive Palancar which are big companies that have shops all over and use big boats.

I used www.scubatony.com The most that were on the boat were 3 divers, the guide and driver. Scuba Tony will pick you up in the water beside the pier, so you don't have to pay the pier fee for not using there on site dive op.

www.living-underwater.com also uses a small boat.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

The service is great at the Iberostar. They have excellent waiter service at the pool. I left a tee shirt at the pool. When I went to the lost & found to get it, they had washed and folded it. My wife asked housekeeping if we could get more Diet Coke for our fridge. Later that night there was a knock at our door, it was a manager with 2 free tee shirts and said we are sorry about the Diet Coke. The rooms were small but we liked them. They aren't dark and are no leaking roofs or rotted anything at the Iberostar. The hot food was hot and the cold food was cold. We never had any issues with animals in the restaurants. You just can't please some people.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 18:06
usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

I have stayed at both and prefer the Iberostar

overall beach....advantage Iberostar

beach entrance to the ocean/swimming....advantage Grand

access to beach...Iberostar

food...Iberostar

diving...Iberostar by a wide margin

pool....Iberostar

rooms...Grand

social...Iberostar

location on island....equal

mosquitos....Grand

Holbrook, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

We are on our third trip to iberostar and we always go during spring break and seriously, you wouldn't think they were packed to capacity. It's so vast and spread out. You will thoroughly enjoy

7. Re: Occidental Grand or Iberostar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 06:16