We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
16 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

Aro Rent a Car Cozumel. This company approaches you at the ticket window for the ferry in Playa del Carmen with lots of promises for a good rental when you get off the ferry in Cozumel. We were told the cost was 70 US and that included gas and all insurances. We were charged 1200 pesos.. I did not have a calculator but I thought that seemed high and was told the exchange was at 13.25 peso's per 1 USD..the going rate in town is 12 pesos per 1 Usd. When I actually did the calculations I realized We were charged 90 USD absolute highway robbery for a vehicle in Cozumel.

I was promised a nice jeep. When we got to Cozumel we ended up having to wait across the street in front of the ferry terminal for almost 45 minutes before we were taken on a 5 block walk to again sign papers and get a hard sell for more insurance before we got our vehicle. I asked multiple times where the car agency was as I did not want to wait. We were then told to go outside to get our vehicle and it took another 30 minutes before it was brought to the front of the store! ( The person who went to get our car ran down the street somewhere and eventually brought the car to us, there were 6 other people behind us who had to wait even longer) What we got was a battered jeep with 187000 km on it, ripped seats,broken turn signal, no gas cap, etc.! We were also told to fill the tank before we brought back the jeep..we were told gas was included also the gas gage did not work. Just to confirm we arrived at 10 minutes to 11:00 and we never got our vehicle till 12:30 and we were charged 90 US. We signed and paid for a jeep in Playa del Carmen at 8:30 am, our vehicle should of been ready and waiting for us upon our arrival. Very very poor service

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

¨Very very poor service¨

Thats what happens when you buy something on the Playa pier for Cozumel. Many have written about it here. I know of no legitimate Cozumel business that sells in Playa. Once you arrive in Cozumel you will find much better prices and much better vehicles.

Pepperell...
Level Contributor
305 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

sorry you got ripped off....

Research, research, research....goes a long way.

Now you know. ;-)

Seattle
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

I'm sorry you got scammed, but we learn from past mistakes, thanks for the heads-up

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

Just wondering why folks buy tours or car rentals in PDC for Cozumel? Doesn't make much sense to me. Big bummer. Thanks for posting...it will help others from making the same mistake.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

Sounds like a lesson was learned.

Shameless plug alert here: Isis can be trusted, and many people have had good luck with a few other rental agencies.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

And you wont see ISIS or any of the other reputable car rentals on the pier in Playa. The Playa pier has become as bad as the timeshare guys at the airport. I have read that Cozumel government has complained to government in Playa about the situation but appears they will do nothing. They probably are collecting too much rent.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

When you are planning on renting a car on Cozumel....already have it in your head who you are going to rent from. Isis or Thrifty are good IMO and Less Pay has some fans although I'm not one of them. You shouldn't just buy anything or rent anything from somebody who just strolls up and asks you in PDC...or if you walk by their vendor booth. You don't know anything about them...can you trust them? I don't know. Some people have reported buying a tour in PDC and upon arrival to Cozumel they find out they've purchased a bogus trip.

8. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 03:28
Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

The thing about this post that bugs me is the really got ripped off in PDC but the title sounds like it was cozumel!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very bad car rental experience in Cozumel

Some first time posters just have to vent for the 20 bucks lost to feel better...