We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to take diving recertification

ft worth, tx
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to take diving recertification

My husband got certified back in college (1976) We have tried to get a copy of his certificate with no luck. Back then, they did everything on micorfish. ha. We have called the 2 places that do the certifing, and they are unable to find him

Anyway, will be in beautiful Cozumel in May, and he wants to dive.

Is there a place someone could suggest to get a crash course, or better to do it here?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to take diving recertification

I would suggest that you do the book work and pool skills at home. Then get a referral letter to take to Cozumel and do your open water dives there. It will only take 2 days and you will have the rest of the time just to dive.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to take diving recertification

Contact Freddy Contreras of Mestizo Divers. An excellent instructor, he will make you feel comfortable as you polish your skills.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to take diving recertification

Check with a local dive shop. You have time to do it there and not use any vacation time doing checkout dives.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to take diving recertification

I would definitely do it before you leave for vacation. But it you just decide on Cozumel for a cert. Contact Scuba Du and request Hector Reyes as your instructor. He's fantastic and very popular with his clients at Scuba Du. He speaks great English and he's so friendly and you'll have a great experience!

Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
920 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to take diving recertification

Call your local dive shop and take the class and pool work with them. Take the wrutten part of the test. I would do the checkout dives in Cozumel. It's 4 dives usually over 2 days where you will show the instructor your skills The nice part is that the skills take little time, much of your time will be diving with your instructor. We did our checkout dives in Key West and enjoyed then checkout dives with our instructor. We hired him as a private DM for the rest of our vacation. Cozumel is a great place to do your checkout. Your LDS might have a shop they like. If SSI is the agency your LDS used, consider Rita Absher at Albatros Charters www.albatroscharters.com.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to take diving recertification

I agree do your work at home and then do your checkout dives in cozumel. That way you even have a private DM for your frist dives there, which costs about $50 for a two tank dive. The guys at dive paradise- Omar , Israel, or Ismael are great instructors. enjoy

7. Re: Where to take diving recertification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 07:15