We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allegro

willow beach
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Allegro

Hi there it has been several years since visiting Cozumel. Has anyone stayed at the Allegro recently?

Can you tell me what section of the resort is the Noliplus section? Also any recommendations in terms of rooms? Are restuarants centrally located? We are not travelling with young children so being close to kiddy ammenities. Is snorkelling any good off the beach. We stayed at the Melia before and there were sand fleas is something that we need to think about in March?

Any tips are appreciated!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allegro

I *think* the Nolitours rooms are closest to the lobby/buffet building--but I wouldn't swear to it. That was the section that Signature had the first time I stayed there. Not the best location, but it was pretty quiet. You could hear the disco a bit, but we were in an upper room. In a lower room you probably wouldn't hear a thing.

It's a very small resort, so the restaurants are pretty central. Breakfast and supper is in the buffet in the main building, and lunch is in the snack bar/restaurant by the beach. The Oriental a la carte is located next to the buffet, and the Mexican a la carte is usually outside in the snack bar restaurant.

We've NEVER had a problem with sand fleas, but depending on the weather you might find some skitters. One April we went and it was so bad--we got eaten alive inside the lobby bar! That was the only time out of 6 or 7 trips, though. Bring bug spray, anyway.

The snorkeling is only okay off the beach, as it's a very sandy bottom. There are some fish that hang out around the pier. You can even see them really well FROM the pier.

willow beach
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allegro

Great, thank you! I think we may rent a car and head out to Chankanab for snorkelling or maybe even the Corona bar if I recall there was good snorkelling there too! Hopefully the bugs won't be bad but will definately pack some spray!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allegro

You could also do a snorkel tour through Pro Dive or Dive Palancar, too, rather than renting a car and paying admission to Chankanaab; they'll pick you up and drop you off right at the hotel. There is supposed to be really good snorkeling by Playa Corona--we tried to snorkel at the Money Bar next door but the water was way too rough that day. We ended up taking a boat out on another day, so we got our fix. :o)

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allegro

stayed there jan. 10th thru 20th most of rooms look the same only complaint i heard was some of upper level rooms leaked during the rain. rooms from 4800 to 6800 all looked nice and were closer to the beach. snorkeling picked up when the same guy brought cheerios to the water it would go from a few fish to hundreds in seconds. but corona beach is not far and is free and variety of fish is better, also money bar a little further down has good snorkeling and good bands fri. sat. night only 3 kilometers from allegro.

willow beach
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allegro

Thank you for your suggestions bongo and desmei. I have snorkelled at Corona's and it was quite nice. Will try the snorkel idea, we used to use bananas. I haen't seen the Money bar so will check that, maybe check the band out. Desmei we have rented the car very economically in the past $35 and toured the island. Thought we might stop at Punta Sur, coconuts and maybe chankanab. We did a cat snorkel tour when we were there before but it felt that the water was so deep we didn't get the best view. Can you tell me about the tours you went on? I saw somewhere that you can snorkel with sting rays but it didn't say where that was.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allegro

I think the snorkling at Chankanaab is well worth the price of admission. We went to Money Bar for the first time last year. the snorkling was ok. the service was probably the worst we have ever had in Cozumel. Actually there was no service. The waiter was serving folks all around us but I had to go to the bar myself most of the time. Beer was warm on top of that and their food prices were way too high. We ended up leaving and getting lunch at Veradero 2001 which is right down the road. Little hole in the wall place recommended by a rental agent Kelly Matthias. She rents the house right next door to the restraunt Casa Feliz. We took a tour of the house. it is awesome. Hopefully we can stay there one day.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allegro

I agree with ineedasol about the prices at Money Bar--very expensive. Drinks cost what they would in Canada, and they're not huge. We *did* buy some food after doing Tiger's snorkeling tour (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Very shallow. We saw a sea cucumber, rays, a TURTLE!!, and so much more) and it was very good and beautifully presented...just expensive for a family of 4. We had very good wait service, though. Happy Hour is 5-7 (?) and drinks are 2 for 1--time your visit well. ;o) The band Fugga was GREAT, or if you go on Thursdays Abraham is there with his guitar, singing romantic music. I really recommend going to see him, too. Fugga also plays at Alberto's now (within walking distance), apparently.

willow beach
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allegro

Desmei, where did you book Tiger's snorkelling tour? Was it through the hotel? How much was it per person.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allegro

LOL I kept whining on here till Cindy (roadwarrior) took pity on me! It's $50 for adults, including VERY open bar and snacks. Departs and arrives at the Money Bar.

You can try to pin him down on Facebook, or go to his new website: http://www.tigersadventures.com/

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allegro

money bar 2 fers 5 till seven 6.99 for large shrimp cocktail