We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Aura reviews OMG

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Aura reviews OMG

the review I am refering to is to two guests that argued with the manager about the power being out and resulted in, police being called and being thrown out of the hotel.

it sound to me that the guests were being hostile about a situation the hotel was trying to resolve. Power outages? A small island mifgt have all kinds of problems like that.

It makes me kind of laugh when people complain about bugs, and even sewage smell on a small tropical island. The sewage is piped out into the ocean and there is no big surf on that side to take out to sea.

i am just venting a bit here as i have read lots of reviews for this resort and Sabor.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

IDK, I hear what you are saying but this is a luxury resort. The bar is very high for a Secrets resort. IMHO, if the review is true (and I'm pretty confident some of it is true), the manager should be fired. It is completely unacceptable for a manager to say something isn't his problem. If a guest gets a hangnail, it is his problem. Everything that happens at his resort is his problem. I'm sure the guest was being a jerk but any manager entrusted with a Secrets resort should have been able to handle this situation in a far more professional manner.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

Ive read enough about Secrets Aura, here on TA lately, that I wouldnt go there on a bet. What a mess !!!

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
336 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

The reviewer admitted her husband completely flipped out, so who knows what that means? He could have threatened the manager.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

This is a small resort still in transition to secrets. I can almost guarantee that everyone complaining paid a far less rate then you would at the other secrets resorts. I'm going in just a few days. I got a GREAT deal therefore I am not expecting the resort to be secrets. I am expecting it to be Aura, similar to my stay last year, after all that is what I paid for. Some of the compliants about overbooking and people getting moved, that's frustrating. But many of those people are leaving out the fact that have been given a comp stay at a future date at secrets aura. Some of the other complaints seem pretty ridiculous and there is no reason to cause a scene. I understand that we all spend our hard earned money on these vacations, but that is no reason to show up and act spoiled rotten, I've been to several caribbean islands and at some point you are going to see a bug or ant in your room. Kill it and move on.

indiana
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

I witnessed it. He deserved to be thrown in jail. The manager did everything he could do. They guest threatened the manager numerous times. He was completely drunk and belligerent.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

Ohappyday- sounds more accurate. Just like the complaint last week from the couple who untied another persons yacht from the dock at Aura. WHO DOES THAT?! Then complains to the news and TA that Secrets Aura is the problem.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

I was there as well when the jerk was arrested. First of all, the power outage wasn't a big deal...you could still get a cocktail! Also, if the ocuple had a swim up room and the a/c went out, open the door! I'm sure the ocean breeze would have made things quite enjoyable. The guy got out his phone and started filming for some unknown reason since the lobby had lights. He was in the face of other hotel guests and as far as what I could tell, not one hotel staff member reacted to his insanity.

I was hoping the guy would still be in jail when I returned to Cleveland but according to the reviewer, he got out. At least for the other guests, he didn't return to Aura.

Interestingly enough, the "famous tennis player" she referred to was Rafael Nadal. She had to be the only one on Cozumel that wasn't thrilled that he was there. Oh, and she apparently doesn't know that he owns the resort and was there for a PR blitz with AMResorts. He was there the entire time I was and there was absolutely no disruption in service at all.

For anyone who would be convinced by her review not to go to this resort, I say, good! Hopefully that will keep the rates reasonable and the swim up rooms available!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

Of course, this is all speculative. I think the manager is the only person that actually knows what was said. In addition, no one deserves to be threatened and I don't doubt that the guests was drunk and irate. Maybe he did deserve to be thrown out.

If the manager actually said that the power outage was not his problem, he should be fired. If his guests don't have water or electricity, it is his problem. None of this would have every happened if the manager was doing his job. His primary job is to make sure that his guests are comfortable. His guests were not comfortable and he didn't think it was his problem. Clearly, he doesn't understand his job description.

ohappyday10, what was the nature of the power outage? Was it the whole resort? Whole Island?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

Jill, the lobby had lights? That means the power outage was isolated. The manager should have offered to move them to a different room or transfer them to another resort. Water and electricity are basic services that one expects at a resort. If the outage was temporary, the manager should have given him an estimate of when service would be restored.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Aura reviews OMG

I, in no way believe, that any manager or supervisor of that hotel used the phrase, "not my problem." This is their livelihood.