We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving and hotels

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa cruz
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
diving and hotels

hello

me,my wife and 10 year old son will be on Cozumel from Sunday April 7-Tuesday April 9. Our "home base" is Akumal, but we are spending a couple nights on Cozumel so I can go diving. In exchange for me playing the the ocean for a couple a days, I want to put them up in a nice hotel. I've dome some research and there are a lot of all-inclusive hotels in the south of the island (I think we want to be in the Southern part of the island) I want something nice on the beach with a nice pool, but not necessarily a A/I. any recommendations? We can pay up to $200-$250 a night.

As far as diving, I'm looking at going out with Liquid Blue Divers, any other recommendations?

thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diving and hotels

Check El Presidente. It's not all the way far south but it's very nice.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving and hotels

Presidente is a top hotel but whether the beach is adequate you need to decide. Always find pictures taken from the ocean.

The nicest beaches are further south: Secrets complex, Allegro, Grand, Iberostar.

You need to check reviews to see which may work the best. I am going to guess possibly the Grand since the Iberostar and possibly the Secrets complex have some ironshore at the waters edge.

Another high end hotel is Cozumel Palace in town but it has a man-made beach. One work around if you stay there is have the family meet you at the beach surface interval location.

Dive ops similar (large tanks, beach surface interval) to Liquid Blue are

aldora.com

and

livingunderwater.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diving and hotels

There aren't any hotels along the southern hotel (the sandy beach) zone. They are resorts as such with a bit more to offer than a hotel BUT they are all AI's. Thee majority of rooms at any of them are in small buildings spread out in each property. Unlike a hotel there's a bit of walking from one thing to another, whether it be the restaurants, pool(s) or beach area. The Presidente & Fiesta Americanna are hotel style properties but neither is situated on the big beach many look for in a Caribbean vacation. Use the Hotel Beaches link in the top questions for a better understanding of what I mean. (you'll also find diving photos there too).

PS, Your 10 year old would most likely prefer the Iberostar, Allegro or maybe Park Royal (edge of town).

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: diving and hotels

Hotel map

http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel-hotels.html

Michigan
Level Contributor
867 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: diving and hotels

I concur with Froglegs. Call and ask for Jorge the concierge at El Prez. He may be able to help you out. I know he will put you in with reservations, but sometimes there may be a little extra he can do on the deal specials. Even the pool view rooms are nice. I can't think of a nicer hotel to sit on the beach, wade, snorkel, order a drink and plan where to eat (if you don't eat there). May change your mind about every going to an AI. My husband will not stay any place else. We order off the menu for breafast (no need to get the buffet included with the room price).

Happy hour is 5 PM and you get 2 for 1. It is quiet (no loud speakers or loud people irritating you), plenty of chaises and palapas and just the worlds best service. Enjoy.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: diving and hotels

thank you all, lots of great info

any thoughts on diving with Anita Divers and any thoughts on the Playa Azul resort

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: diving and hotels

Playa Azul is north of town with a combination of sand and ironshore at the waters edge.

8. Re: diving and hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:17