We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

underwater camera

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
897 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
underwater camera

I need a new underwater camera. I loved my 4 Canon D10s (2 had to be replaced due to a lens error message. The first replaced one drowned in Hawaii because I didn't close it after downloading pics.) I bought a replacement for the first 2 after said drowning and got another lens error message and they replaced it. I had some issues so bought a D20 as a backup last summer which I also loved, BUT both cameras (the older D10 and new D20) died while snorkeling. Both were securely latched (I learned that lesson in Hawaii), but both had water inside, therefore I am leary of the Canon although they have awesome customer service! I have been reading up on the Nikon Coolpix A100 but a lot of people have had "leak" problems with it. I have also been looking at the new Olympus TG1. It was very disappointing to be snorkeling and suddenly not be able to take pics. I also think taking pictures makes me feel more secure in the water (less fear of the unknown). Anyway, does anyone have recommendations? I'd like this camera to last awhile and to feel confident it won't leak or quit midtrip. Oh, and I am a non-techie person, quite a novice photographer. Thanks for any input!

Prince George...
Level Contributor
213 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: underwater camera

.DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot waterproof camera ... It's awesome for snorkelling and it's super light!!!

Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: underwater camera

I would also like some advice.. trying to decide which one to get. I'm not a huge photography person either I just want it to work decent. I'm looking at the new Pentax optio wg-3 that is due out shortly. Any advice would help

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: underwater camera

I have been looking at the go-pro's they are awesome. and easy to use.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
340 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: underwater camera

I too want an underwater camera but I don't want to spend a ton. I have an expensive regular camera and I won't use the underwater one much but I want something better than a disposable! Anyone know of any cheap ones?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: underwater camera

I don't know what to say--I've been using the same Canon D10 for about 4 years now and I'd buy the D20 in a heartbeat. Its durability is amazing! It's been dropped, stepped on, been skiing, played with in the snow by the kids, underwater MANY times in Cozumel and in Cuba. Love the picture quality too.

michigan
Level Contributor
499 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: underwater camera

after buying a couple of cheap ones,I finally chose this one really good pics and easy video on and off with good color here is a link to it Olympus tough tg-310

pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/…00.asp

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: underwater camera

Hey, you know who seems to have a really good underwater camera? Tiger. I don't know what kind it is...but it's red! LOL

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: underwater camera

The Fuji XP-20 and the later models have worked great for us.

Buy the camera at a store and get the extended warranty.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
897 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: underwater camera

Thanks everyone! I'll check some of these out. Desmei, like I said I REALLY loved my Canons and the customer service was just awesome. They took great pictures! I don't know if I just got lemons on the first 2 I bought with the lens error message. But both happened after about 6 or 7 months. I got awesome underwater pics in St. John, Kauai, and Caymen. The first "leak" was my error. This past summer was not. The D20 was taking pics in the water and the camera went dark mid snorkel and wouldn't come back on. There was a very minute amount of "dampness" when I got out and got dry. The D10, on the other hand was really wet. D20 died on Monday, D10 on Tuesday of my trip. I was sad! I did try the first Fuji, as a replacement to my D10 in Kauai and kept having a cloudy area on my pics. Anyway, thanks, I am a bit gunshy now.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: underwater camera

I don't know how much you want to spend? Have a look at a "housed" camera. It's a regular camera in a waterproof housing. I have a Sony MPK-WF Marine Pack. It came with a DCS w350 camera. The housing came with different inserts so it will fit 6 different Sony cameras. The housing is clear, so you can leak test it before you go and keep an eye on the camera while snorkeling.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 15:35