We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel visit and photos

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
951 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel visit and photos

Returned 5/15 from Cozumel & El Coz. Brief report and photo link attached.

First visit back to Cozumel since Wilma, long awaited. Airport was running normal, lots less traffic. Some damage seen from ride to El Cozumeleno. The El Coz was in great shape, freshly redone, grounds were beautiful. Much of the same staff. The hotel has made many changes, all for the better. Entrance to the water from the hotel is difficult at best, don't try It without water shoes.We were told sand from the ocean floor had been sucked from the ocean floor and beach by Wilma. They have sand back on the beach now, and perhaps the ocean floor will improve as well. The ride around the island opened my eyes to the wrath of the storm. Most of the beach bars are open and welcome you. Downtown was in good shape except for the land sharks, bad if not worse. Family night was a blast, glad to see all the locals still smiling and happy. I guess the most noticable thing was the damage to the foliage. I am certain it is on the mend, as new greenery is visible.I think this trip was one of, if not the best in regards to less crowds, and top service. I have to say, I have always loved Cozumel and it's people. We can't wait to return!!!!

Claude Dill

photo link:

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,058 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Nice pics and good report, thanks! If you think you saw the wrath of the storm, you should have been here some months back. Having been here all through the recovery, it is difficult to imagine how it must look to someone who hasnt been here since Wilma. For example , in the main park in the center, nof a piece of greenery nor a palm tree remained! If you noticed now, many palm trees and much greenery.

The recovery here and the people here have been amazing. Unlike what I saw after Katrina in the US, no one here waited with their hands out for help--they pitched in and got the job here! The government did an amazing job on all levels also!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
254 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Good point Robert! I know there is still devistation from Wilma, but I'm sure they have worked hard (and still working) to get totally cleaned up.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Claude

thanks for the pics, I remember back a few weeks when you were getting ready to go! We leave wednesday and will get some pics as well.

Peri

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
485 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

cdill, nice trip report & pics! I'll be there 4 weeks from today.

What night was the Mexican night at the El Coz? Trying to make plans on what nights we want to go out to dinner and what nights to stay at the hotel.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
951 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Chillin fool, I think it was Tue. nite,but could have been Wed.I liked it a lot better than the other theme nights. Where you from??

claudedill

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
485 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

CDill, appreciate the info. We'll be there from Mon. throug Fri. so we'll definantly make it to the Mexican night.

I am from near Dallas

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Hey Claude, how's it going? You did a good job on your photos. Sorry we missed saying goodbye. It was nice meeting you and Cathy. Maybe we can get together again on another trip and get another impromptu pool party going. This being our first stay at the El Cozumeleno we could not compare to the pre-wilma days but everyone we talked with that had stayed there before agreed the improvements made were for the better. Especially the food. We found the staff very friendly and helpful and accomodations very comfortable. We will definitely return. Sam

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
951 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Samlam, thanks for the kind words. We enjoyed meeting you and Steve. It sure was fun. Lets stay in touch.

Claude & Kathy Dill

claudedill@aol.com

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Mondays- International Night

Wednesdays - Mexican Night

Fridays - Caribbean Night

Dinner - 6:30pm

Show - 8pm

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
951 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel visit and photos

Curtfrompa, check this out, and whatever you do go Sunday, it is very cool as Betsy said.

Claude Dill