We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

I am planning to book a day pass to the Melia Resort for my family of 10: grandparents (50's), parents (30's), kids (2-16). We are on a cruise and looking for somewhere to go for the day where we can lounge, eat, drink, maybe snorkle or play in shallow water, swim in a pool, keep the kids occupied and having fun.

Anyone have a better suggestion? Anyone done this before? Anyone stayed at the Melia and have comments on the food/drink/beach scene? It seems like a lot of beaches are rocky (I was surprised by this!) but this hotel seems to have a good size sandy beach. Also, some have concerns about the food- anyone had problems with the food/water at this hotel?

THANKS!

Rockwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

Have you looked at any of the beach clubs on the south end? Why go to a hotel where guests are staying and you feeling like an outsider? There are many beach clubs that will have beautiful beaches with pools where food and drink woud be included? Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach Club... to name a couple.

Cozumel is known for it's diving/snorkeling. Where there is sand there will be no fish, etc. Alot of hotels will have man made beaches. ie. Sand brought in along the iron shore with rocky entrance to the water.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

Club Cozumel Caribe would be a better choice...A day pass for 10 could run as high as 80pp, or 800USD. I do not see the reason for that, when you can do the same for a lot less at other places even a la carte...

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

Sometimes the water is murky in front of the Melia. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice. I agree with Dan- CCC is nice or Nachi Cocum.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

I spoke to someone at Mr. Sanchos and they said it can be more crowded and "party" - like. We are looking for low key as we have small children. Snorkling is not a priority because we will be snorkling in Isla Roatan a few days prior. So this would just be a relaxing day.

I looked at some Beach Clubs, but they all seemed crowded and beach-party- like. However, I have never been to Cozumel so I have faith in my trip advisor friends to advise :) Let me know what you think about my beach club assessment. Obviously, they're probably not all the same. I'll look up Paradise, CCC and Nachi.

Rockwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

Another place I think you might really like is Playa Planacar. I don't think it's all inclusive but I don't honestly think you will need it unless you are super big drinkers.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

Thank you so much for your suggestions everyone! I checked on your suggestions and Nachi Cocum looks similar to what we're looking for. However, the prices are pretty much the same if we went to Melia with a day pass. Paradise Beach also looks fun with the water slides and toys in the water. After buying lunch for 10 people and drinks for 6 adults it will probably all even-out in the price department.

So, price aside- what are the advantages to a beach club than a resort?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

Usually there's more to do at a beach club. Some have water toys, jet skis, paddle boards, small shops, ceramic painting etc. IMO the beaches are much prettier and better to the south as far as what you seem to be looking for: i.e. Nachi, Sancho's, Paradise etc. CCC's beach entry is small.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

I've been to Mr. Sancho's 3x with my kids and it's never been party like. Some drunk cruisers, yes, but they just played with my kids! LOL One very hefty woman sent my son flying so far off the water toys that he bit his lip and drew blood. Good times.

You'd have more room to spread out at a beach club, IMHO, and I found the service at Mr. Sancho's to be FAR superior than what I've ever received at a hotel.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

The water can be murky off the Melia due to seagrass and issues with the El Coz pier. Plus they lost a lot of beach from Hurricane Wilma. I'd go to a beach club.. Paradise or Nachi Cocum and have a nice day at the beach. No snorkeling, but as you say, you are scheduled for that later.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Melia Day Pass... yes or no?

You guys rock, thanks for your input. I shared all of this information with my father (the head dude in charge of this vacay) and he wanted to stick with Melia. I'll report back!