We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ardmore , oklahoma
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

My husband and I are going next week. We are staying at the Reef Club. I'm not into diving ,so what would be your top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Well, you will probably get many opinions on this, but these are some:

*San Gervasio ruins

*visit other side of the island

*snorkel one of the local reefs such as corona beach or dzulha

*visit downtown for shopping

*Sunday night in square for music

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Mine are:

Diving

Relaxing under a palapa on the beach watching time pass

Watching the sunset while having a vanilla ice cream

East side excursion

Sunday night in the square

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Since you don't make it sound like you want to dive, (the most popular thing to do there I think) maybe you might at least go snorkeling, which is great to do there.

because the island is small it is easy to drive around all of it to see the vast differences between the east & west sides, stopping along the way at some of the beaches & enjoying the road side restaurants.

Sunday evening in the main square is nice, and allows you to mingle with the locals, see the always happy kids etc.

Explore the town of San Miguel ON FOOT. I really enjoy just walking away from the water front, zig zagging back & forth along the streets just seeing the plants & flowers, homes (wealthy & poor all mixed together) and being greeted by the locals, who make a point to make you feel welcome no matter where you are walking. My wife & I sometimes walk for a few hours and have never felt unsafe.

While at the Reef Club go for a long walk down the beach (it is soft sand and will really give your toes & ankles a work out). You can walk to San Francisco beach, past some beach clubs, past the Allegro, then past the Grand, and finally the Iberostar, and if you still have some energy a little further after the Iberostar are a couple of very large beachfront homes worth drooling over. (don't know how well they survived Wilma).

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Snorkeling

Relaxing under a palapa on the beach watching time pass with a beer

Watching the sunset while having a beer

Go to the east side to have a beer

Sit on my balcony looking at the blue water while having a beer

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

-Go to the East side... Chen Rio, Coconuts, Mezcalitos, et. al... Try to go more than once, there are alot of cool spots. El Mirador, the natural hot tub, etc... OH! Sunrise on the East side is UNFORGETTABLE! gotta get up early for that, though!

-Dining and drinking downtown... Guido's, La Lobsteria, shrimp tacos at Camillo's, Buckets of beers at Bianca's, people watching at the silly $1 beer bar on Melgar...

-Cuban Music night at the Flamingo... You'll wish you knew how to Salsa dance if you don't already!

-If you not gonna dive, at least go snorkeling at Dzul-Ha and Corona!.. Do this on the same day/days you rent a car before you head to the East side.

-Seeing all my friends... Move this to #1!

-Tom

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

"If you not gonna dive"... sorry... working on my English... If YOU'RE not gonna dive! :)

-Tom

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Another favorite is watching baby turtles waddle into the ocean.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

CO Pilot, what's the best time of the year to see the baby turtles? I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about it. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I can't imagine seeing it in person!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Karalee, it depends upon when the various groups start collecting turtle eggs. I have seen them start releasing them in mid-late July and one year it probably did not start until about the first week in August.

Since it takes about two months for the eggs to hatch, it continues for two months after the turtles quit laying eggs. I would have to look up that time but I will GUESS that it continues into October, maybe later.

Here are some pics that may interest you:

http://tinyurl.com/qav3g

http://tinyurl.com/a5zr3

http://tinyurl.com/7633c

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are your Top 5 things to do in Cozumel?

Thank you so much for those pictures! I know I'm quite "girly" sounding at this point, but they are so cute:) We hope to be down in July, so I'm going to look into seeing some baby turtles! Any suggestions of where to look?

Thanks again, CO Pilot!