We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

Greer
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

Me and my family are staying at the occidental Grand for 8 nights in May. Is the upgrade to Royal Club worth the extra money?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

Absolutely, well maybe: or maybe not. How much more does it add to the stay? What does it offer that might be important to you? I know you get cheaper or maybe free internet & access to another restaurant in that area but what do you get for how much $$$$?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

I've stayed in the Royal Club and quite honestly, I don't think it really is worth the extra $$. The rooms are pretty much the same as the hotel section. You do get the extra restaurant which we didn't use but once or twice. You do have internet access on the bottom floor of your bldg. You do get an extra "hot tub". You are behind a gate (no biggie to me) and have a separate check in. If you can live without that, then save your money for tours and souvenirs.

St. Marys, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

To us it is not worth the extra it would cost us to stay there. We don't take a computer with us, so there is no need for WiFi, but it was nice to be able to use the computer downstairs although totaly unnecessary. The restaurant is very nice and you can have all three of your daily meals there if you choose to. My husband dives early in the morning so it is much quicker for us to just go to the buffet. Some people like to have lunch there because it is inside (although there are a few tables outside). We prefer to eat at the beach buffet and be able to see the ocean in an open air atmosphere. As said earlier the rooms are about the same with an upgraded decor unless you stay in one of the suites. The "hot tub" is small and usually not very hot. As for separate check in, anyone with a concierge package (staying in buildings 18 or 19) will be checking in there as well.

Why we have decided to stay in any of the other buildings is the fact that the "jungle" has grown very close to the Royal Club buildings which doesn't allow for much sunshine. If you want anything to dry on the balcony it may not get the chance. My husband brought in his wet suit one day and there was a toad in it - scared the heck out of him.

In my opinion the few "upgrades" you get with the Royal Club is not worth it to me, but it all depends on what you like.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 14:29
Greer
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

I think they said its $40 per person per day for the upgrade. That would be be $900....After reading these posts, I feel better about not getting the upgrade! We are very easy to please and this is our first real vacation, so we will probably be thrilled with what we get!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

I don't know if they've made any major changes to the rooms since our stay but I haven't seen any mention of it so my photo tour may help. We stayed in a standard room.

https:/…TheOccidentalGrand

Greer
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

You pictures were extremely helpful!

Thanks!

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
177 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

I just returned from the OC and stayed in the Royal Club. From Larry's photos, the rooms are exactly the same. However, we had no problems with uncomfortable beds, thin walls, cockroaches or any of the other complaints I am reading in the review of the resort. The royal club restaurant was not that special and you do need a reservation for dinner. It was nice to be served breakfast and lunch in an elegant manor, but the food was not any better ( it definitely is at the Xcaret Royal Club). We paid about $260 extra for the week. Maid service and the front desk were very good. In any case, be sure to NOT stay on the lower level due to dampness. This resort is lacking in elegance all around, but the people make up for it. We met new unpretentious friends and had a great time! If you can, be sure to go to Coconuts bar and restaurant on the windward side of the island! It closes at 7:00 and does not take charge cards

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
177 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

I just returned from the OC and stayed in the Royal Club. From Larry's photos, the rooms are exactly the same. However, we had no problems with uncomfortable beds, thin walls, cockroaches or any of the other complaints I am reading in the review of the resort. The royal club restaurant was not that special and you do need a reservation for dinner. It was nice to be served breakfast and lunch in an elegant manor, but the food was not any better ( it definitely is at the Xcaret Royal Club). We paid about $260 extra for the week. Maid service and the front desk were very good. In any case, be sure to NOT stay on the lower level due to dampness. This resort is lacking in elegance all around, but the people make up for it. We met new unpretentious friends and had a great time! If you can, be sure to go to Coconuts bar and restaurant on the windward side of the island! It closes at 7:00 and does not take charge cards

9. Re: Royal Club upgrade worth the extra money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 05:16