We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
365 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in to a resort rather than after you have been there a few days? Wouldn't it make more sense to experience what the place has to offer before being approached?

Yet again, I have read a review on OG recently (apparently he thinks it's a five star and the only place he wanted to eat was of all places an American Chain PIZZA HUT? And gave it raving reviews? Seriously .... argh. I don't get some people. Ah well. Can't wait to get to the OG and experience its beauty for myself! :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

They nab you before you realize they're timeshare people; they try to appear like they're tour organizers. Also, if you make it past the first attempt(s) they'll keep trying throughout your stay. I personally have no trouble with them, just smile and say no, or 'no tengo dinero', 'manana' or 'in a Mexican minute' ;o)

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

They 'grab' on the way in because on the way out after staying and whatever resort you are not going to spend thousands of dollars to buy timeshare. Does not matter if it is 3 star or 5 star resort.

oz
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

Are they for hotels and excursions or just timeshare for hotels? I never talk to them so I wasn't sure.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

I think it depends, wickedwitch. I've only stayed at the Allegro, so can only comment on their set up. They have guys in the lobby who DO sell tours and rent cars. They are innocuous enough. Just past the lobby, outside, is an 'information booth' where they'll call you over and offer you a free gift for staying and then hook you into a timeshare presentation at the Grand.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

They will give you free tours, Mexican blankets, jeep rental, tequila etc. in exchange for a time share presentation. If you can stomach a 2-3 hour "meeting" and a hard sales pitch and want the free stuff go for it. We did it once in Florida for a discounted stay at the Ron Jon resort and told them up front we were not going to buy a timeshare...but they still required us to waste 3 hours of vaca time.. Won't do that again!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

My mum and I did it on our first trip to the Allegro. It was a nice tour of the Grand, but too much talking over breakfast, and he (our first 'contact') discouraged us from having omelettes, to keep things moving. We were then ushered in to a sales pitch by a smarmy American guy, who kept on going on about "grandbabies" and how much it meant for his to share in his very own "membership". He was thinking my mum was a sucker, I think, meanwhile I was thinking, "Hell, my kids are excited to go to Walmart." LOL It was great fun. When I mentioned that it might be a bad idea for me to sign such an agreement without my husband, he challenged me, asking if I needed my husband's permission to throw away scads of money (perhaps not his exact words). Ummm, yeah. I think that might be something he'd like to have a say in. This guy got SO mad at us that he was foaming at the corners of his mouth. Fascinating. His name was Gary. :o)

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

The most basic reason is that while you're leaving, their enticements aren't that enticing.

It's too late for a "free" tour, car rental, or whatever thing they're offering in exchange for trapping you for the presentation.

On arrival, though, there's a chance someone will get blinded by the offer and agree. They divide the work so there are different people roping in marks and getting them to the pitch and others doing the sales work.

Years ago, after we'd stayed at the Presidente umpteen times, we decided to sit through the spiel for their "Club". We got the numbers, absolutely refused to sign up, but went over them after we got home. Knowing we'd be back, we calculated that for us it would be a good deal to buy a limited membership - their wacky points system basically meant we were pre-purchasing a specific number of nights at a discount. When we returned on a later trip and tried just to sign up without all the rigamarole of "free" lunch, etc., they had absolutely no idea how to handle us!

Laverne, Ok
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

All I can say is if I ever find a resort that works as hard at making their guests have a happy, enjoyable stay, as the timeshare people work at trying to sell you a membership, I would be a loyal guest for life.

9. Re: Why do timeshare people nab you on your way in? Rather than

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:16