We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort help for veterans

Dallas
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Resort help for veterans

We have stayed at the Aura for 4 years in a row and love it. Prices have gone up, things are turning over as it moves to Secrets brand, so we're hesitant. Love FA but its closed this summer. Two divers in the group and don't want to leave the resort or party. So the question is:

1. Palace? $1500 resort credit and girls can go to spa. Far from dive sites, but everyone raves about the place. Is it worth it? We don't party or have any interest in town or sightseeing. We want good food, clean and comfortable rooms, and close to diving would be nice but not a huge deal.

2. Iberostar? Hear good things and price is right.

3. Occidental Grand? Hear good things, but bit of a walk to beach?

4. Secrets Aura? We love it and the bech is awesome, great food, close to diving. Don't know if the price jump is worth it and don't want to stay on the old Sabor side.

5. Other places we may be missing. No El Coz.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort help for veterans

The palace is really nice but if you want the beach and you are used to aura and want it ,see if you can get a deal on-line with secrets. I don't know what it goes for but if its too much the palace is nice. You could always buy a week from a member , I hear its cheaper than a booking site.

Dallas
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort help for veterans

How does buying a week work? How would I go about doing that?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort help for veterans

Check out eBay. You can find them there.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
914 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort help for veterans

I am with you, no ElCoz. I am in favor of the Palace

Minnesota
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort help for veterans

We usually stay at FA but decided to stay at Cozumel Palace this year. It is everything people say - beautiful rooms, amazing service, food was great. However, if you are used to the southern hotels with the turquoise water and views - you will not find at that Cozumel Palace. The water is deeper and not as pretty in color and there are cruise ships to the right and left. My husband ended up taking a taxi down to the Dive Shop at FA for each of his dives and back due to the long boat rides to the dive sites. We will definalty go back to FA next year (if it is completed by February) to enjoy the views and feel of the island we have come to love. Just food for thought....

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort help for veterans

Why not give the Grand a try? The walk to the beach isn't hugely major, and it's quite pretty. If you're at all familiar with Residencias Reef, it's about the same distance from the buildings to the beach. You go through mangroves, and cross a turtle pond. Very close to dive sites, too.

Lees Summit, MO
Level Contributor
482 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort help for veterans

Tubby_KA, we are members of Palace so if you are interested in how it works when you use a member's week you are welcome to pm me.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort help for veterans

The walk to the beach at the OG is minor. Maybe a whole 3 minutes and the beach is fantastic. I don't understand those who complain about "the walk to the beach". It's totally worth it in my opinion.

Amherst, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort help for veterans

Cozumel Palace will let you use all of your $1500 on diving picking you right up from their dock. If anyone wants the latest promo sheet, message me and I will send it on.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort help for veterans

Gailieb, my mother would have trouble walking from the hotel to the beach at the Grand. It would be a hike for some.