We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

Eden Prairie...
1 post
Save Topic
Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

just returned from Cozumel where I rented from Hertz at the airport. The car I got was faulty, with a sputtering engine and check engine light on the dash. I returned the car to the desk and asked for a refund, as I was not comfortable with the reliability of the car (they had no others) for touring the island, but was told they could not refund my money. So take the car for a test drive before you rent, or consider the Thrifty/Dollar office across the parking lot from the airport.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

Or, better yet, consider a locally-owned rental agency that rents to island residents as well as to tourists. There are a couple that are consistently recommended here. I have my personal strong favorite, but there are people who prefer different agencies. The big franchises are practically never among those.

Hartland, Michigan...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

I originally booked vehicle through united.com and was quoted under 200.00 for a compact car for 1 week. I requested an upgrade to a minivan and was told it would be an additional 25 USD per day.

Bill showed 350 Pesos per day. If you convert this, it does not = 25 USD. I was then told my car insurance at home in U.S. or my credit card (VISA Signature) car insurance coverage would not work there. They did not even give me an option to opt out of insurance. Ended up paying over 500 USD in insurance and the total bill came out to nearly 1100.00 USD. (ouch to the travel budget) I go to Cozumel often and don't believe I will use Hertz for rental again.

Tried calling their corporate office and was told they could do nothing as Hertz Mexico is their own company and that I would have to call the office that I rented from. Really!! They are the ones to screw me over in the first place.

I thought renting would be cheaper than using cabs all week. Wow I was wrong.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,301 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

Renting can be cheaper than taxis if you go with one of the local places Mark mentioned. I always rent from ISIS and their rates for a VW bug start at about 35 dollars a day, including insurance. No hidden extras. They also have larger vehicles at a bit higher prices but once again, all is included. And the price the owner quotes when you book, is the price you pay.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

This topic is discussed here over and over again. Just because you think you are renting from Hertz, Avis, Budget or whatever it is not the same as renting in the US. Like others I rent from a local company and I took the stress out of car rentals. Believe me I have used them all down there

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

I pay 30 dollars a day for a VW hardtop with insurance from Isis. Are the cars perfect? No but I never been stuck and I always pay what I'm quoted.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

You must buy the insurance in Mexico. It would have been wise to research this before the trip.

We use Less Pay mostly. For $35/day you get a beater with all insurance, and the customer service has been great.

7. Re: Careful with Hertz at Cozumel Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 07:19