We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

WOW-this is a dump! TV is in BR--none in LR. Old furniture w/labels exposed. Oceanview is only palm trees. You have to close bathroom door to even get into the shower. Those doors are so shoddy--cracked wood, in need of total refinishing. Furniture is banged up and upholstery is stained and filthy. Tiny closet. One baggage rack. So far, I'm not impressed with Secrets <period>

More to come in a review after our stay--we've been here for a few hours.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

After all the reviews on this place, I would never waste my vacation money. Secrets has had one bad review after another since they took it over. I was hoping for another decent resort on Cozumel, but only the name has changed... still all the issues from previous years, only maybe worse. The place wont change until they empty it out from management down and replace with people who are trained and capable of the kind of customer service expected for a Secrets resort. Only the sign in the front is changing every few years, The rest is the same.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

Actually if you look at recent reviews the majority are very positive. I would certainly hate to see the many fine employees I have encountered over the years replaced. In fact, those wonderful employees are one of the main reasons we return year after year.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

The employees were not the issue. The suite was unacceptable. We are now in the Privilege section and have also been ugraded to a pool solarium. That was courtesy of some very attentive employees in the service departments. Hoping the remaining days will merit a great review.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

I'm glad to hear they are taking care of you!

I was referring to take me2coz's comments. I have read similar comments & I don't think that is a solution.

Have a wonderful time & if you are still there on Saturday, we may run into you!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

How long did it take them to change rooms? Did you immediately speak up and ask? I'm very curious to know how they handled it, we're about to pull the trigger based on all the positive reviews of late...

Did the book the Basic room? Oceanview? And did they charge you to upgrade, or just do it?

Comment PLEASE ??? Thanks!!

Edited: 09 April 2013, 02:50
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

Duffer, we booked 3 nts on LuxuryLink.com. Net price with earned credits of $25 was $590. Details on LL.com. King OV, balcony or terrace. Room was right above the lobby below Sky Bar. Terrible location. After 15 mins I went down to Concierge. They offered pool solariam late the next day. We ordered soem wine and after an hour discussing options, I went back downstairs. I stood firm that next day was also not acceptable. Sandy said all rooms were occupied. She made a call and said the Priviledge Concierge would take care of us in his area. I basically said if we don't get satisfaction, we'd be flying home tomorrow (we are airline and seats were avaialble) and gently explained that getting a refund would not be that difficult. I had already emailed LL (I am a very loyal customer for almost 10 yrs. I've bought 27 packages from them). Also told them about first post here. That carried soem weight. Priv Concierge asked me to delete if I was happy with the new suite. I said I would do full review with the happy parts stressed. But no deletion.

So, the Priv Pool Solarium is very acceptable! More later.

PS--we prefer the Villa Del Palmar in Playa Mujeres and Hacienda Tres Rios in Riv MAya. This may be our last Secrets. (PS--they don't have glasses of bubbly--hoping to find some at Bfast)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
643 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

Yeah sounds like Cozumel is not your thing......or you should have gone to the El Presidente if you wanted 5 star resort......

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

If I wanted to book El President, Justin, I would have. I didn't for various reasons you know nothing about. FYI--we have stayed at world-class properties ALL over the world--many 5stars and then some. The room we started with wasn't even 2 star. The resort solved the problem. Our suite is very nice. I don't understand your issue with my posts?

We've been here before and it's ok, but we've been to so many other superior properties--The Americas, Africa, Europe, Asia.

Yeah...did you have something to share about your stay at Secrets Aura, Justin? I'm sure we would have enjoyed your contribution.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 17:58
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

Thanks kyshel, thats kind of what I was hoping to hear. Bad things can happen anywhere, lets face it, but its how they handle the situation, that speaks VOLUMES about a resort. I'm really sorry to hear that it happened in the first place, we expect more when we book a trip. And isnt it interesting, that after being told "the resort is full", that POOF, a room suddenly appears. Kudos to you! Late last year, the reviews were awful, I had all but written Secrets, off. I kept an eye on the reviews, because the Fiesta is closed during October, our vacation time. We've stayed at the FA before, not top of the line by any means, but certainly acceptable, actually pretty decent, for a diver, like me, although the wife only snorkels. I dive early, she sits on the beach and reads, or gets a massage, then we have lunch and continue with our day. I consider it a fair trade-off lol.

I am really leaning towards a King, probably Standard, then try to upgrade. If thats works, fine, if not, we've stayed in gardenviews before, and they are fine, depending on location. We are definitely going back(for the 4th or 5th time, not sure), to Coz, specifically for the diving, although we both love the people there, and feel very safe. Definitely interested in your future comments, and thanks again for the (positive) update!

Justin, El Presidente is out of the question, for us, we dont feel the need to spend the bucks, instead, we prefer to spend our money on the economy, I love to haggle, and the folks on Coz definitely oblige. But thanks for your comment, are you sure you placed it on the correct thread? :)

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Aura--Crummy suite

I hope that your stay continues to improve for you. I, too, have traveled worldwide and have stayed in all types of places (just haven't reviewed much). I enjoyed myself at every place and never let the small things ruin my overall outlook. Vacation, to me, is about enjoying a new vista, experience and especially about enjoying the one I'm with.