We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,116 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

According to forecasts released today, 18 hurricanes are forecast this season . This forecast is for the Atlantic basin, which includes the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico Of the nine predicted hurricanes, four should be major hurricanes — categories 3, 4 or 5 — with sustained wind speeds of 111 mph or greater.

Hurricane season is June 1 to Nov. 30.

usatoday.com/story/…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,445 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

thx Robert - sounds like they are hedging their bets after their lousy forecast last year

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

The forecasters are never wrong anymore as they change their forecast several times over the season. Then at the end of the season, they can say, "See...we were correct. Now how about some more funding for us?"

An NBC Miami review of nearly a decade of pre-season predictions of hurricane season shows the two major predicting institutions are right about half the time. In some categories, they fail even more frequently.

nbcmiami.com/news/local/NBC-MIami-review-Hur…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,116 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

True of all weather forecasts. I doubt most are correct half the time. But it is the forecast.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,116 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

I should correct what I said. I should have said, 18 tropical storms in 2013, of which nine will be hurricanes.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
643 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

LoL - predicting hurricanes is like picking a perfect NCAA Basketball bracket........these guys haven't ever been right!!!!!

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

Historically, the main hurricane season for the Western Caribbean (Cozumel) is from September 20 to October 31st. If you flip a coin enough times, you should be able to get the glass "half full".

There's always a chance like the "fluke storm" that surprised Florida in March some 20 years back.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

Considering the weather so far this "spring" I can believe we could have that many tropical storms. I always buy trip insurance for this very reason. Better safe than sorry IMHO.

8. Re: 18 Hurricanes Forecast for 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 06:17