We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

Do they use 10 to 1, 13 to 1?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,349 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

If you give a taxi driver dollars, he will use 10 to 1. Use pesos and save money.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

That's what I'm asking, though. If I say want to go to the centro, the driver will ask for $17--they never state the peso price. If I want to pay in pesos, what would be the proper equivalent? I'd like to be able to counter with, "$17? So that would be $xxx MX?"

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,349 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

Good question. He will likely only be happy with 10 to 1 when it works in his favor.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

I have always had the quote in pesos. I don't think I've ever had a taxi driver quote to me in dollars. We hop in, we get there, we ask how much, he says "XXXX pesos". If you then ask...how much is that in dollars?....you will get a conversion using 10x 1.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

My trick last time was to a) always find out the price from the hotel staff before I get into the cab and b) try to have exact change in pesos - that way the cabbie cant play that 'oh i dont have change' game crap they try to pull.

The only thing that messed us up on that plan was when they had us share a ride.... once was to the airport when the other person was riding on a voucher, so no way to really split... the other time I gave the cabbie what was beyond a our half and told him to get the rest from the other couple.

Seems like when they realize you know what the price should be they don't really mess with you.

So I would ask the hotel staff the exact fare (some hotels have it posted in the lobby) and get it in pesos from the hotel - their exchange rate is always better than 10 to 1.

CO, USA
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

17.00 USD = 205.447 MXN

www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/…

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

13? The peso has been getting stronger=less pesos per dollar. The best ATM rate will be below 12 and at best, the peso may be worth 11 to 1 to the taxi driver. You'll save on fares paying in pesos, but the difference has gotten a lot smaller.

Peso rate today is at the 52 week low.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

IMO you should always ask the price BEFORE you get in the cab. Better to be safe than sorry.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

It is always best to KNOW the price before, whenever you ask how much? it opens you up to all possibilities for rates. It is best to be able to state the price, $150 pesos, correct? Hotels should know the going rates.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis--what should we *expect* to pay in pesos?

Yeah, I don't ask, I verify in the form of a question. Like, "You're going to happily accept $17 to get to the centro, correct? Because I'm not getting in otherwise"

I've always been told the price in dollars, never pesos, whether I get a cab from the hotel or from the centro.

It's not so much of an issue leaving from the hotel, as they have the taxi rates in both USD and pesos listed, but if I want to get back from say, Playa Corona, how many pesos do I need?

Sounds like it might just be "easier" to use USD for cabs, save the pesos for bars and restaurants.