We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel tour worth the money?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
623 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel tour worth the money?

Hi all,

On this our third trip, we plan to self-guide snorkel at Punta Sur and between Club Cozumel Caribe and Playa Azul, plus in front of Condumel, where we are staying. Have snorkeled Dzul Ha and Chen Rio before.

After reviewing prior posts, seems like the sights at the off-shore reefs are spectacular. Please weigh in on whether these tours are worth the $110 or so that we would spend to go? and if so, who you like...I've read a lot about 2 Ds and Tiger.

Thanks!

14 sleeps! Talia and Dan

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

You can go for $35. from Playa Palancar. It's a shorter, no frills trip. 2 D's is $65. I think...but she had a $35. last minute special the other day. And yes, shore snorkeling is very different from the reefs...some of the huge coral heads are spectacular. You've gotta see them at least once. It's worth it.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

go out to the reefs talia..cozumel is famous worldwide for the reefs..

c u and dan at wendy"s

18 sleeps

craig and andrea

San Diego
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

Big thumbs up for the Playa Palancar snorkel boat. It's cheaper because from that location it's a short trip to to Columbia Shallows and the beginning of Palancar reef. You'll be hard pressed to find better snorkeling anywhere on the island. The others are more expensive due to the long boat trips(fuel) they make to the same or nearby areas.

If you are renting a car, sounds like it, you should give this a try first and then do one of the others if you feel it's not up to your expectations.

Have fun

Rich

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

I agree with everyone. You have to go out to the reefs at least once.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

We are thinking of trying 2d's this year for snorkel trip. The other ones we have been with have been worth the money for sure. Sounds like they would be too. The first time we went snorkeling was from a boat and I have never enjoyed snorkeling from the shore because of that, I think.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

OP, good choice to shore snorkel at Punta Sur. IMHO that's consistently about the best self-guided shore snorkeling on Coz. I usually take a dive float with me. Tour boats are not supposed to be in there, but once in a while I have seen a boat in the area. IMHO, if you are planning on self-guided shore snorkeling an area like North of Money Bar, a float is a really good idea anyway.

Shore snorkeling is fun and easy, but others are right: The reefs (with a good dive company) are a whole other experience! THAT'S what COZ is known for!

Last summer I booked private snorkel trip for 2 with 2D's. I specifically did not want the "Snorkel & Booze Party" type of trip that some others offer. I just wanted to snorkel and see as much "reefage" as possible. I intentionally booked it on a Sunday, when there are fewer boats on the reefs.

I cannot say enough good things about the whole experience. 2 D's was easy to work with from beginning to end. Our DM master was really knowledgeable, and also took time to explain which reef we were at each time & the fish we were likely to see. Each time we got back in the boat, he told us the names of the fish and types of coral we had just seen. Another thing that really impressed: When we were at one reef, another snorkel boat suddenly arrived. Our boat operator immediately re-positioned our boat so that it was between us (we were in the water) and that other boat. A good safety precaution.

Hope this helps.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
623 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

Thanks everyone! I think this has just become a must-do! I am trying to plan less this time round, to ensure relaxation, but we also want to experience the best of Coz. Frogslegs, or anyone, do I need to pre-reserve the Playa Palcanar trip? or should we try for last minute specials? Our days there are wide open...

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

Not sure if you need to reserve or not, but I don't think so. Not if you have such a flexible schedule. Here is the link I was using that has email address if you want it: http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html

I m sure others no for sure

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

Nope........you don't need to reserve in advance. You just show up. The boat makes several trips a day, holds 16 max, and I've seen it go out with as few as two. If you want to be on the first boat, get there around 9:30 or so.......otherwise just hang out for the next trip in such a nice spot! (no "last minute specials").........Have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkel tour worth the money?

Talia, going from Playa Palancar would be a great plan for you. It is a very nice, chilled beach club to hang out at and the snorkel tour takes you to very nice reefs. As Betsy said nothing to reserve in advance so you can pick the day you fell like going.