We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milpitas, California
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

Choosing between Park Royal and Flamingo hotels. Flamingo is cheaper, and seem to have good reviews. Could somebody comment ?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

Flamingo is cheaper because it's not AI like Park Royal. They're totally different kinds of hotels regarding location and well...everything. Have you checked the websites and a map carefully?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

I agree with froglegs. you couldn't find two different hotels if you tried-lol Looks like the flamingo ia small quaint hotel with not many bells and whistles. One the other hand you have the park royale with all the bells and whistles. Just depends on what you want.

Myself i would do the flamingo, but that is me. I spend veyr little time at the resort. whether diving or hanging out in town i don't need a fancy place.

Milpitas, California
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

If it is not AI, then what options do I have for dining, renting snorkelling equip, etc ? Looks like it may end up the same price, as I'll probably have to spend at least $50 pppd on restaurants that are safe to eat at, but will have to spend more time looking for them, getting to them, etc.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

Flamingo is a nice little hotel in town. Park Royal is much larger and about 2 miles south of town. Flamingo is not even water front and in town there is not a place to swim or snorkel. You could rent equipment wherever you end up going to snorkel...a different beach club each day would be fun...but you'll spend alot on cabs or can rent a car for $35. per day from Isis. Park Royal is across the street from the ocean and you can swim and snorkel there. I don't think Flamingo even has a pool. Do you want a resort or a hotel? Views? The good news is that you'll be walking distance to some of the best food on the island. I don't know any restaurants that are not safe to eat at...from street vendors to high end dining San Miguel has it all. It's really, really apples and oranges.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
615 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

Park Royal is located on the ocean, not across from it. The road just happens to pass over their beach access via a bridge. :)

Another question for the OP:

- Are you traveling alone or with others?

- Do you or the others dive?

- Are some of your group non-divers?

- Kids?

All those factor in where to stay....

We stay at the PR a lot, BUT if I was single, no wife or kids, I would be at the Flamingo or other cheap hotels. :)

I have to appease my better half and give the kids stuff to do while I go off diving, so AI works best for my situation and then we go to town a lot to eat dinners.

Milpitas, California
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

I am traveling solo, will be snorkelling, and may be taking diving lessons.

If you suggest to take Flamingo because it is cheaper, my impression is that it won't be, because I'll have go everywhere by taxi,including beaches, while Park Royal has some good snorkelling from its own beach. Am I correct ?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

Maybe not important, but recently I saw the Flamingo was for sale. Not sure if that would have any impact on the visit but just to make you aware.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
255 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

I recently stood at the Flamingo & enjoyed it. As the previous posters noted it does not have a pool & is 1/2 block from the waterfront... They have an amazing view from their sun deck that I really liked. As far as snorkeling & diving are concerned Tom (the owner ) is amazingly knowledgeable & accommodating He will make great arraingements for you if you need. The hotel is less than 5 min. walk from many great places to eat that are reasonably priced. If I were solo I would go with Flamingo you can really suit yourself well there. With a group that included kids... as the others have said an AI would be hard to resist

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

It does depend on what you want. You can´t really compare with the Park Royal but my choice would be the Park Royal.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park Royal or Flamingo hotel ?

For the price of AI you could eat a lot of meals in town and still have $$ left over... now if you are a big drinker, that changes things.

That being said, love the PR - would be especially good if you would want to try to meet people to socialize with - AIs are great for that.

And yes, there is snorkeling from shore at the PR - very clear water, decent sealife, calm entry.