We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

We lucked into a wonderful taxi driver in Cozumel who took us on an island tour. He spoke English well (self-taught), was interested in doing exactly what we wanted to do, and gave us more time than originally agreed without charging extra (of course, we paid him more). He was so friendly and courteous. He took pictures of us, answered all our questions, translated for us when we needed him to, and even left his car running on short stops to keep it cool for us. At our request, he took us to a super restaurant where locals would eat and he wouldn't even let us buy him food! Can't say enough good things about him - we will definitely use him next time we go. Manuel Zapata Cepeda, palapa52@hotmail.com; cell 044 987 118 87 22; palapa taxi 25.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

tell us more

where is this super local restaurant - where else did you go

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,047 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

And how unusual, he let you buy him food, ha ha. Really, in spite of the taxi unions bad reputation, many nice taxi drivers.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

How much did he charge per hour?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,047 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

And sorry, I did not read correctly. Its nice to see he didn´t let you buy food.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

A driver like that could get a lot of biz from just TA visitors who post about upcoming trips. I'm saving the info as well. Sometimes it's nice getting a driver for an East side day just so nobody in the group has to worry about a thing. It would actually make a nice "link" here where other cabbies who do a great job for visitors could be listed and even have reviews. Just a thought.......

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

Please put this and any other related posts in the top questions. It would be a big help to many folks.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 18:38
Pataskala, Ohio
Level Contributor
175 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

This is great information. How much does he charge?

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

Wonder what happened to Bill?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
643 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

Amen, when there last year, I think I had 1 taxi driver out of 30+ that was remotely friendly, talkative or who let on they spoke english. So it is good to hear of the RARE good one. WIll definately take his info with me this year in case we go round the island!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,047 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Driver in Cozumel, Mexico

I have found most friendly enough. But I am not really wanting to chat with them in the short rides I take around town. And many of the older ones, really don´t speak english. Often when they see I am willing to try my not so great Spanish, they loosen up a bit. When they only speak a little English, they are afraid of getting in a long conversation which they really don´t want. I often think they speak Spanish too rapidly---and they think the same about my English.