We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry

How is the Ferry ride from Play Del Carmen? I am finding much better flights to Cancun but get sea sick sometimes. Is it a rough ride or pretty smooth?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry

It depends who you ask. I use it often and have rarely found it to be a rough ride. It is the ocean so conditions vary but, in general, a smooth ride.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry

Take seasickness medication when/before you land in Cancun if there is any doubt.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry

That is common sense, if at all prone to seasickness. For others, nothing is necessary.

Enjoy.

Lake Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry

We've been back and forth to Cozumel from Playa 3 times. 2 times the weather was good, and the ride was pleasant. On the third trip however, there was a tropical storm out at sea, and the seas were rough. There were several passengers that were sick (including locals that were used to the ride). You'll be at the mercy of Mother Nature. I say, if it looks even slightly like a storm is coming, stay off the boat!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry

it def can be an upsetting ride for people not used to being on the water. use the sea sick pills for sure and get a seat by a window. there are washrooms on board in case ya need one.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry

I'm prone to seasickness but am usually not bothered on the ferry. I've been on it with people who literally grew up on boats when we've all become seasick. It's usually about 40 minutes, so nothing's ever come of it, so to speak.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry

"several passengers that were sick (including locals that were used to the ride)."

Reminds me of the daughter of my best friends on the island. She is now 25 and a school teacher and lived all her life on the island. And almost always gets sick on the ferry. I tell her not to tell anyone because island girls should never get sick on the ferry!

Oregon
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry

We just rode the ferry about a month ago during spring break. There were quite a few people (and children) getting sick and the workers were handing out bags right and left. I am not prone to seasickness but if you are, I'd take something. The water was rough and the boat rocked up and down and side to side. There was a little old guy a few rows from us that kept filling up bag after bag. Poor guy. His wife was helping him. He should of gone to the restroom because we all listened to it for quite awhile.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry

"The water was rough and the boat rocked up and down and side to side. "

That is what boats do when the seas are a little rough ha ha.

Sure it happens just as it would anytime you take a boat trip on open water. I rarely see it but enjoy it. It breaks the monotony .

As far as the little old guy going to the restroom, ever tried that on a boat when the seas are rough?

Really nothing to worry about. As said, if prone to seasickness, take something prior to the trip.

Laverne, Ok
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry

Is there an open deck that you can stand on, or do you have to ride in an indoor passenger area?