We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need pesos on east side?

Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need pesos on east side?

We are leaving in an hour :). Do we need pesos? We have Americian money just wondering if we need to convert some?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

You will likely be getting a 10-1 exchange rate from establishments on the east side rather than the 13-1 or so the actual exchange rate is. To answer you question, you can use USD, it will just cost you extra. Are you only going to be there for the day? If it is only for the day and you aren't planning on spending a lot of money paying in USD just might be more convenient for you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

I just saw you are staying at the Palace. If you are going to be there for a few more days and are going into town again, go to Mega and get pesos out of the atm. They have good exchange rates, and you money will go farther for you.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

Need pesos? The answer is no. I have never needed them. Obviously your money will go farther. If I have pesos I use them, but I do not go out of my way to use them until it is getting ime to leave. I usually have some received in change so i keep handy just in case. It is easy to exchange though. We used to make a point of exchanging , but I decided it was not worth it to me personally as we are only there once or twice a year. I find that every time I use pesos I walk away wondering if I counted or calculated correctly.

I think once the guest services at the palace had something delivered to me from a pharmacy and they requested pesos, so I exchanged at the palace front desk. The rate was fair at the time.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
340 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

Pesos will go further than dollars but no, you don't have to have them; the bars on the east side all take American dollars too.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

I can only echo zman on this. Both posts.

You don't HAVE to have them, but, you will get lousy exchange rate if you use US dollars, which in turn, increases the price of everything. If that is not an issue for you, then you may not want to go to the trouble.

I do the Chedraui/Mega ATM trick every time I go, so as to have pesos but not carry a lot of them on my person while traveling. Over the years, it has saved me a lot of money.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

Also, just FYI, if you ARE staying at the Palace, you can pay for a few groceries at Chedraui across the street with US dollars and they will give you change in pesos. (NOT saying to pay for a pack of gum with a $100 bill!).......but if you were going to buy a few things there anyway, you wouldn't even HAVE to use the ATM and they give a good rate which is posted.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

That's exactly what i do Betsy! Works out fine for me.

Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

We are back and had no issue...Punta Sur took cash and The Money Bar our credit card...also gas station cash...btw gas almost as much as rental.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,332 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

The dollar is taking a beating right now....Its at 11.97 at the ATM, and 11.20 to 1 USD at the exchange houses. I guess thats what happens when you keep printing money....Such a shame....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need pesos on east side?

"The dollar is taking a beating right now....Its at 11.97"

-Ouch !