We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar or Occidental

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
907 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar or Occidental

I have a scuba diver friend that is interested in All Inclusive Resort with scuba pacakge. He's also interested in unlimited shore diving. What's your recommendation?

chicago
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

I don't know anything about either resort's Scuba package, but Iberostar is closer to town, whereas Occidental is farther out in the jungle.

Iberostar has more kid-oriented activities during the day and fun audience-participation shows at night.

Occidental has better food and pools.

Maybe that helps a little?

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
907 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

He's an advance scuba diver and more interested in Scuba diving but he was looking into All Inclusive.

Thanks

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

""Iberostar is closer to town, whereas Occidental is farther out in the jungle.""

------------------

Sorry but this info is not correct. The Iberostar is the farthest hotel from town, the next closest to town (but not by much) is the Occidental. Both are on the water obviously but the Occidental sits back from the beach a bit. (actually so do the rooms at the Iberostar). As far as diving, neither really has shore diving unless with a guide since both are within park boundaries (and little to see due to sandy bottoms) and also your friend should know that ANY dive op can pick up at these hotels, so he isn't limited to using the house ops.

Personally, if I were looking at an AI as an advanced diver, I'd check out Scuba Club.......diver oriented, closer to town, good shore diving (no guide required) and packages available. Also Blue Angel is a great divers hotel with shore diving and a nice restaurant on site, although not AI........but IMHO a shame to NOT experience the wonderful restaurants walking distance in town.

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

The Iberostar is farther from town than the Occidental Grand (maybe 300 yards farther so not much). The Occidental Allegro is a probably 200 yards closer to town than the Occidental Grand. All 3 resorts are AI and are the closest resorts to the reefs, so ideal for divers. All 3 have docks and onsite Dive Operators and other Dive Operators can use their docks to pick you up. So lots of options. The Allegro is a older resort and probably 3 Star. The Grand is probably 4 1/2 Stars. The Iberostar is more like 3 1/2 - 4 Stars. They are all different and have their pluses and minuses and loyal customers. Shore diving is probably not great because of sandy bottoms plus boat traffic can be an issue at all three.

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

As a diver, I love the Grand. They depart 4 times a day (9, 10:30, 2 & 3:30). Each dive boat returns to the dock for SI. As said above, the reefs are less than a 15 minute boat ride. But no shore diving allowed. For that you will need an AI closer to town. But the OG does have a roped off area for snorkeling. Be advised the AI's closer to town may have iron shore or rocky entrances.

A taxi ride into or from town will cost you $20 one way.

You will have to decide your priorities. Going to town and eating/shopping or having a great beach.

Take a look at these pictures or websites:

http://www.rhodesaz.com/Cosumel%20Nov%202012/dive%20shop%20(2).JPG

http://www.rhodesaz.com/Cosumel%20Nov%202012/dive%20shop%20(5).JPG

http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel-hotels.html

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/REEFS

Edited: 11 May 2013, 00:18
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

Ditto what Paul wrote.

usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

Iberostar is much better imo. The only thing Occidental has better, is mosquitos

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

I would go with Blue angel, scuba club or hotel coz. Hotel coz can be AI or breakfast ony. Blue angel is not AI but has a restaurant. Blue angel also has unlimited shore diving- 24/7 they leave tanks out so you can do night shore dives also. These hotels are also in town which is a must for me.After diving you get alot of free time to explore town. the resort for me is somewhere to sleep. Save

9. Re: Iberostar or Occidental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 07:17