We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

My husband and two sons, 16 and 17, got certified last year in Maui. They are looking forward to scuba diving in Cozumel. We are staying at Iberostar Paraiso Maya and know we will have to take a taxi to Playa del Carmen and get on the first ferry which leaves at 8. Is there a reputable diving company that will accomodate a little later departure in the morning in order to dive? We've seen afternoon dives leave at 1, but we'd like to leave around 9-9:30 if possible? Any help would be appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

If I remember correctly Aqua Safari's boat leaves the downtown pier at 9 am. It is a very short walk from the ferry pier to their pier as well. I have used them before, they are a good op in my opinion and one of the oldest on the island. Most of the smaller boutique ops with smaller faster boats depart between 8 and 8:30. I would email Aqua Safari to see if their schedule fits yours.

Central Nebraska
Level Contributor
404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

It would probably depend on when you will be vacationing. Some of the smaller dive ops might be more accommodating if they aren't as busy. We dive with Scubatony and I've read some of his TA reviews were people mention his operation accommodating "off" schedules. You might shot him an email and see if it might work for the dates you are looking at.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

www.mexicowaterjets.com/eng/servicios.php…

First ferry from PDC appears to be 700 AM. Also check Aldora (aldora.com). Their office is close to that of Aqua Safari. If you choose a dive op that leaves from the caleta south of town, a Taxi should be about $10 each way.

Only buy ONE WAY ferry tickets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

Deep Blue leaves from the Aldora pier which is close to the ferry & leaves for 2 tank trips at 9:oo you would be best off if you book & pay in advance online..... otherwise you will have a more hectic morning

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

Go on scubaboard cozumel- there was just a post about this. It's nice all the dive shops have e-mail now so very easy to get ahold of , This is the post

scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/454312-staying…

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

Only know this because I had some questions about the dive op at Iberostar coz. Called them last Sunday to ask directly about diving Columbia shallows. The person I spoke to, said that there is a weekly excursion from a sister Iberostar on the mainland that shuttles to coz for a two tank dive at, Palancar gardens and the Columbia shallows,not sure if that's your hotel? And he would see if I could join that group when I'm there. It will probably be more expensive than ferry and finding a dive op on your own. But it may be more convenient. If its something they might be interested in , I would call your hotel direct and ask the concierge. You can find iberostar s numbers on there website..

7. Re: Morning Scuba after taking ferry from Playa area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 06:18