We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
JazzyV1822
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Diving in Cozumel

Hi all,

I am arriving in Cozumel on a cruise from Maimi and was interesting in learning about diving. I have never gone diving before but wish to go, see and experience a great dive.

My ship arrives at Cozumel around 1:30 so will probably need a dive time after 2ish. How does this work? Which diving companies do you recommend? How many tanks do I need (I saw something about 1 or 2 tanks)? How close is the shop to the cruise docks and how to I get to the dive shop? How are the training and diving sessions? How long should I plan for the diving trip (from start to finish renting gear to returning)

I have never gone diving b4 so any and all info will be great (no matter how basic)

what info do i need to know?

JazzyV1822
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Cozumel

Just wanted to add a few more questions

Do I need to be certified to scuba dive?

I would like to dive the Palancar Reef. What companies will take me there (after 2/2:30)? How far is it from the cruise docks and how do I get there/to diving company that will take me there? Theyll teach me how to dive, right?

How long is getting equipment rental, getting to site,training, diving, returning etc? Is it possible coming from cruise?

Thanks in advance

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Cozumel

Go Snorkeling instead....You'd be glad you did...First off youd have to fine a dive shop, then fill out papers, Have a Dive Master give you the details....etc...Your looking at least 2-3 hours. Most Afternoon dives leave at 1pm. Maybe the Cruise line has a Bunny Course for a few hundred bucks...i do not know.....You need more time amigo....

Edited: 18 May 2013, 05:34
detroit, texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in Cozumel

i would strongly suggest you do something other than a rushed scuba dive trip if you have never been before. you will use up all your time trying to learn just the basics. you will not enjoy it. the dive group will most likely leave you in or near the boat.

take a snorkel trip or even a "snuba" trip. i think chakanaab still offers these.

just my honest opinion, i would have really regretted it if i hadnt certified and practiced near home before i went in cozumel.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
377 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in Cozumel

You can dive (in a very limited way) without certification by taking a "resort course" or "discover scuba" course. You learn some very basic skills (mask clearing and regulator recovery) then do a shallow (less than 40 feet) dive under the supervision of an instructor.

With the time frame you have, I would suggest booking through the cruise line. They are more expensive usually, and often more crowded, but you're unlikely to find a shop leaving after 2pm. Most afternoon dive trips leave around 1pm. Tanks and other gear would be provided by the dive shop, you would not need to provide equipment!

If you've never been diving before, any dive in Cozumel is going to be amazing for you. Don't worry about where you'll go, the dive operator will decide what site is appropriate.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving in Cozumel

Chances are that if you book through the cruise line, they will teach you the basics while onship, in the pool, before you arrive. Then you can have a leisurely dive, as someone said, to 40 feet, and that will be on Palancar Reef. That'll be plenty deep, thats where most of the action is, anyway. The deeper you go, the less you see, due to sunlight penetration. Check your cruise line info and see what they have, going any other way, is going to be rushed, if not impossible. Enjoy!!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving in Cozumel

IF you have the time to do the course & get a dive in it will most likely be at Paradise Reef not Palancar. Paradise is very close to the southern set of piers & the closest shallow site offering good diving. If you read this article you'll get a good idea of what the resort course (AKA Discover Scuba) is all about.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150809-c2914/Cozumel…

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving in Cozumel

Also keep in mind that cruise ships usually stay on the time of your departure port. So ship time and Cozumel time may be different.

JazzyV1822
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving in Cozumel

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I was able to find out more about the Resort Course/Discover Scuba. All the dive shops I spoke to recommend Paradise Reef. Does anyone know if this is a good one?

Thanks again

Jenn

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
377 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving in Cozumel

If you've never been diving before, they're all good ones :) Not everyone agrees, but I really like Paradise reef. People who like towering corals and swimthoughs find it boring, but I'm a fish/marine life dork so a flat reef is fine with me. I've seen all kinds of good stuff there--stingrays, seahorses, eels, turtles, plus all the usual fish. I know people who have seen pods of dolphins come through there as well. You'll love it!!

JazzyV1822
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving in Cozumel

Thanks