We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Playa del Carmen

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MaconMO
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Playa del Carmen

Is there any reason, in your opinion, to ferry from Coz over to Cancun, Palya del Carmen for a "must see" or "must do" tour or excursion? How much per person is it to ferry over?

Our family group of adults will be perfectly happy in Coz (may not even find time to go over) and the only thing I personally would want to do there - swim/snorkel in a cenote.

Ideas or suggestions?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

The only reason i would go to mainland is for cenotes or whale shark swim. I am totally content in cozumel. You said you may not even have time- then just relax and play it by ear. There is plenty to do in cozume IMHO- great local people and i also always make alot of new freinds from all over the world. If your people want clubs and parties stay close to town-enjoy- i am 5 days away-

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

I was just on the ferry last week but going the opposite direction. Some of my favorites are Xcaret, Coba for a climb up a pyramid, but my all time favorite is a swim with the turtles at Akumal bay. You are so close you can touch them(but don't). Nothing wrong with just staying on Coz tho....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

For me, a must is to go over to swim with the turtles in Akumal, but to each his own.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

There are beaucoup reasons to go to the mainland:

Ruins: Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itxa, Ek Balam

Cenotes: Gran, Dos Ojos, Ik Kil

Ziplines: Xplor, Selvatica, Hidden Worlds

Misc: Xcaret, Xel-ha, Rio Secreto

Plus much more

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

I agree with CO-Pilot54, so many things to see and do on the mainland.

But I would kindly suggest if your vacation is in Cozumel, stay in Cozumel and do another holiday to the mainland to see the attractions there.

It's a loooooong day if you leave Cozumel to do things on the mainland, especially if you do Tulum and Coba like we did in one day. It was totally worth it for us (even tho we were exhausted) only because this was our first and only visit to Mexico so we wanted to see all that we could in the time that we had. I do wish we had more time to see a Cenote or two or some of the other fantastic beaches on the mainland but maybe in my next life.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

I would suggest Tulum. We had no problem at all doing Tulum in one day, and I remember we were back in time to shower at our hotel and go out to dinner.

On a different note, we're going in 4 weeks and are planning to go to Akumal and swim in a Cenote.

I like sitting by the pool/ocean, but I always like to have a little sightseeing in there too...

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

We have done day trips to the mainland many times from Coz. We like to take the ferry - get a car at the Playa dock - go to Tulum then over to Akumal for some swim time with the turtles. BUT beware - now we have to stay two weeks and split our vacation 1 week Akumal and 1 week Cozumel. Love both too much to give up either for even 1 trip.

8. Re: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 07:17