We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel airport time share sharks

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel airport time share sharks

Please please be careful. As soon as you go through customs head strait for the doors. Whatever you do Do Not Stop!!! They are very good scammers. You are fresh off your flight and excited. They know how to take advantage of you. They act like they are helping but really are scamming you to do a time share. Do not do it and please don't rent a car from hertz. The rent car we thought we were getting for 66,00 turned into almost 300.00. You are better off getting a taxi for all you needs. This is just a FYI to all you visitors they can not be trusted no matter how sweet they seem. We learned a valuable lesson and wanted to pass it on to you!

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

One of the best stories i heard was a guy standing on ferry pier with sign that said "Cozumel Check in"- Pr

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

People hear the name 'Hertz' and link it w/ the Hertz in the U.S. when actually the company just pays to use the Hertz name. It would be wise for folks to research the rental companies and have print outs in hand if you've reserved online ahead of time and when requesting quotes be certain all the insurance you can purchase is included in the price.

I wish there was a way to let first timers to the island know about the time share sharks at the airport. It can turn out to be such a bummer of a way to start a vacation. Sometimes we ask the people near us on the plane or the folks who are in the immigration line in front or behind us if they have been to Cozumel before and if they say no we warn them. And we say it loud so others can overhear us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
918 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

I do not use Hertz in Cozumel. I think the OP did not do enought research on renting a car in Cozumel. I think it is important to keep in mind that just about every major brand rental agency quotes prices without including the much needed insurance. Insurance is the most expensive part about renting a car in Cozumel. Credit card insurance is useless especially for liability insurance. It's not hard to imagine how. $66 rental can end up,costing $300 when you add in insurance. I like having a car and feel it is well worth while. I pay $30 a day including all insurances. For me far better than taking a cab!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

I agree, it needs to be told over and over about the time share people in the airport. I had been to Cozumel many years ago, knew about the time share people, yet, they still tricked us into going over to a booth by asking us what hotel we were staying at and to let them get us to our transportation! We thought they really were who we needed to be with, when in fact, we should have kept walking past all of them (just keep walking straight), I believe they were in white "official" looking shirts, and go through the frosted glass automatic doors to the outside of the airport to find our ride.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

LMAO!!! "Cozumel Check-in"? Oh that is rich and thick. Wow!

6. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 02:35
7. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 02:35
Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

I could not agree more! That is exactly what they did to us. They make you feel like they are there to help and us being newbies we fell for it. From now on I will do much

More research and warn anyone I can.... Sure give Hertz bad name. Don't think I would allow anyone to use my name if they were going to act shady. Just leaves a bad feeling and will keep me from ever doing business with them. Live and learn! You ate right we did not research rental cars because we never planned on renting but you can bet this op learned her lesson

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,007 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

¨"Cozumel Check-in"

I have seen them in action on the pier in Playa. And people actually showing them their ferry tickets !

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel airport time share sharks

Actually Robert I should have given you credit for that one- I think you told me that awhile back- still cracks me up