We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinema Closing

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Cinema Closing

It is sad for me to read that another of the long time businesses is closing. According to todays El Semanario, the cinema Cecilio Borge, will close its doors. It has been open for over 30 years and I enjoyed many movies there. It is at Juarez and 35, if you are not familiar.

To me, a really sad part of the story is that a Walmart is rumored to be opening in that location.

elsemanariodecozumel.com/contenido/una-carta…

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinema Closing

That's been a cornerstone since I first started coming here. I here Pepe's Grill is also considering closing. Its been a rough May for many here....

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinema Closing

I understand it has been there over 30 years, Dan. I once lived about 2 blocks from the Borge and saw many good, cheap movies there. If I remember correctly, it is owned by one of the islands wealthiest, who also owns the complex where Cinepolis is located. (I once asked a local friend what he owned and she said, ¨What doesn´t he own?¨)

I had heard things were not going well for Pepe´s. Another long running business.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 21:05
cozumel
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinema Closing

I was sad to hear about this too..........I can remember as long as 20 years ago , standing in line outside and running into all kinds of long lost island friends. I ALSO will never forget having the brilliant idea to go there on a rainy day.........the rain was beating down on the roof SO hard that you couldn't hear the sound of the movie.......hahha........thank god for subtitles!

Edited: 27 May 2013, 21:55
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinema Closing

Funny. I don´t think I was ever there during a hard rain. But with that roof, I can imagine it being a problem. I also remember another local cinema on the Melgar not far from the museum. I don´t remember the name but it closed long ago.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinema Closing

Oh yes!........I remember that one too.........at least THEY didn't have a metal roof!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinema Closing

There was the Joaquin Cinema on 2 and Melgar in the 60's and 70's, (Before my time) and the one next to Sharky's later on.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinema Closing

Please tell me Walmart is NOT going in.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
164 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinema Closing

Well shoot!! This is VERY SAD news:(

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinema Closing

Well well,the more resorts the more the local economy will fall.Hard to mantain a business when the resorts is farway from everything and often does not offer shuttle

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cinema Closing

Although, it is sometimes a valid point, I doubt lack of tourists had much to do with the closing of this cinema.

It was not in an area ever frequented by tourists and , in many years of going there, I only saw ¨locals¨. Transportation to the center from the resorts certainly would benefit some merchants.