We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No More Fountain?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,285 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
No More Fountain?

Many news sources are reporting that now the city government plans to sell the area containing a fountain and the ¨Sunset Sailor¨ sculpture piece in front of the main square by the Melgar. The fountain has often contained no water and it is reported the pumps do not work because nothing has been maintained by the city. This fountain has been there since 1995 and, when working, always a favorite spot for tourists photos. The building next to the fountains has already been sold to Diamonds International.

To me, a shame the city doesn´t seem to have priorities to maintain sites of value to tourism.

If you don´t recall the fountain, a photo is here:

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Tours by Taxi Cozumel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fishing KayKib
Sightseeing Tours
Del Mar Aquatics
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No More Fountain?

Unbelievable !!! Just what wee need, less nice things for everyone to see and enjoy our downtown. I personally have always admired that fountain. Exactly what wee need to bring more people to the City Center for the so called revitalization. Maybe the land will be sold to Diamonds International to allow for a larger new store !!!

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No More Fountain?

Sorry, Robert. I don't have time to worry about the fountain (LOL).

I'm still mourning the loss of Bacio on Melgar.

Seriously? ANOTHER jewelry store instead of the best ice cream on the island?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No More Fountain?

Where will all the revenue go to an outgoing Administration?...Hmmmm...

oz
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No More Fountain?

I noticed that last week , it's so sad . I have a amazing sunset photo with the fountain . I also am mad about the t-shirt shop being gone , I love the quality of their shirts.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No More Fountain?

Robert, I am a only an annual visitor to Coz, whereas you live there...

It seems to me that much of the city's recovery from the financial devastation Wilma caused has been ham stringed by the cruise lines setting up their own shops South of town and also telling cruisers its not safe to go into town, thus cutting out local shop owners, services, taxis, etc.

As a resident, would you agree with that assessment?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
646 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No More Fountain?

Well if the Island/city etc wouldn't put all of their eggs into the cruise ship basket..........they need to refocus on bringing people into the hotels like Jamaica does. Jamaica is a crap hole, yet is still popular due to all the advertising they do.

If you are going to live by the cruise ship, you will die by the cruise ship I say.....

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,285 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No More Fountain?

Eno, I somewhat agree. I think is partly as you say and much is just poor management of the resources by government. And who knows, David may be right--maybe Diamonds International made them an offer they couldnt refuse. It would be a shame if a building is put there and the ocean view from the square is completely blocked. They have done this so often. For example, El Cantil was allowed to be built on land supposedly reserved for use by the public..

And Justin is correct. They put all their eggs in one basket. You would think after Wilma, they would have learned they need tourists other than cruise passengers. It didnt happen.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No More Fountain?

Ahh you are kidding? Do they really sell that many diamonds that they need another shop? I don't get the infatuation with the cruizies and buying diamonds and tanzanite. I guess that just isn't my gig but the art leaving the area really sucks.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,285 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No More Fountain?

I think the jewelry stores make big profits in all sorts of ways. And what they do sell is at a huge profit. I also don´t get buying diamonds and tanzanite in Cozumel.

I had a friend tell me today that local politicians are doing damage control now about the reported sale of the property. He says they are surprised the story was leaked and they don´t want bad press at election time.

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No More Fountain?

Well I am glad it has been put out there, now hopefully they won't start investigating their press corps. HA!